Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
SandyM Options
Admiral Anti Spiral
#41 Posted : 20 June 2013 13:42:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

wow lovely work here Sandy, looks great, i think i'll also be choosing the offset bowsprit BigGrin
Processing - Progressing

Previous builds: HMS Victory
Current build: HMS Sovereign of the seas
NMBROOK
#42 Posted : 20 June 2013 13:55:38

Groups:

Very fine work SandyBigGrin BigGrin .It looks like you have decided to run your bowsprit parallel to the keel.This will explain why we have different gammoning hole positions.Are you planning on retaining the kit prow bulkheads,or are you using an alternative support?I have decided to double up the primary beams on the underneath of the deck and leave it at that.This will allow an unobscured area for the lower decorations.
Kind Regards Nigel
Gandale
#43 Posted : 21 June 2013 00:56:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very impressive Sandy... a sight to behold....Cool Cool Drool Drool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
SandyM
#44 Posted : 21 June 2013 01:46:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thank you very much, Admiral and Nigel for looking in and for your comments.
Nigel,none of the bits are fixed in place yet and in the photos I have used the supplied bow sprit which is being replaced with walnut and is still to be faired down half it's diameter at the tip. It will be run from starboard to the centreline which I believe has the strongest argument in that debate. I have come across two descriptions on how it was secured in this period apart from its step 1. Lashed to the deck beams. 2. Lashed to the foremast. The same method as gammoning was used in both descriptions to secure the bow sprit. I favour the latter method as described by Millward although it will not be able to travel as far inboard as indicates on his drawings due the 28* pitch ( if I remember correctly he sets it at 24*).
The gammoning hole start just to port of the prow and as I had made them the same size as the supplied template the forward hole comes close to the edge of the frame so for the time being I have left off the starboard edge of this hole until I decide whether to reduce or not the size. I have also to add the port frame around the stemhead to compleat the grating deck.
The upper bulkhead former will be cut back to 1.5 mm when the bulkhead is fitted and will become the root for the railing posts this will then be topped with the raised foredeck beam. The original bulkhead (frame two) has previously been cut out for the upper gun deck leaving the upper former mount and a central support in place until the end of planking.
The washboard at the bottom of the curved bulkhead is almost the same size as the increase in hight of the foredeck so I don't envisage a problem with the decor. The reinforcing plate for the bowsprit is under construction and will fit below the grating deck. As the bow deck has a slight camber the washboard has fitted properly.

Various balsa aircraft both rubber powered and RC
Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
Billing Dutch Royal Barge (gold medal winner Germany 1975)
Scratch built HMS Victory using HMSO plans hull size 26"
Scratch built Yamato Hull size 8'8"
De Pardo HMS Bounty

Current build Sovereign of the Seas
SandyM
#45 Posted : 21 June 2013 01:47:37

Thanks very much Alan very kind of you.
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

NMBROOK
#46 Posted : 21 June 2013 12:16:35

Groups:

Hi Sandy
My apologies,I looked at your photo and it looked like your bowsprit slot was running true to the keel,however on second look the ship isn't quite square to the camera.I see you decided on running you rail uprights through.I thought the usual method of dowelling short pieces with wire would be a nightmare and they never line up and look right.This far outweighs the awkwardness of cutting and filling the little square holes in the cap rails.I agree you will be able to use the kit decor if you choose on the bulkhead,it is infact 6/7mm short at the bottom of the prowdeck in the kit build.I find this really interesting that whilst we are using similar references and trying to achieve similar goals that our interpretations differ slightly,this is good fun and we will end up with models highly personal to us.Look forward to more photos of your progress.
Kind Regards Nigel
P.S.Got to say good on you for the half lap joints in what looks like 2mm walnut,rather you than me.
SandyM
#47 Posted : 22 June 2013 00:02:52

Hi Nigel,
Thank you very much for you kind comments but personally I prefer your mortise joints they are really neat. You are right the timber is 2 x 4mm stock.
Yes I agree, are running the same way but different and it's fun. The good bit is still to come, The Gingerbread and fitting out the decks.
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

SandyM
#48 Posted : 09 August 2013 22:03:52

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

SandyM
#49 Posted : 30 December 2013 16:09:15

During experiments with the gold platting I was not happy with the results on large planes of gold areas around the stern. the wood grain or filler hairs caused a blurred light refraction. To combat this I decided to cover these areas in copper foil. It worked well on the test I will just have to wait and see how it turns out.
The stern with the laterals and large areas covered. the smaller walnut carvings will be coated in carbon ink to allow the platting.
SandyM attached the following image(s):
IMGP1135.JPG

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

Gandale
#50 Posted : 30 December 2013 21:16:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good there Sandy, lovely work..... Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
SandyM
#51 Posted : 31 December 2013 06:47:01

Thanks a lot Alan, your comments are appreciated. I am now working on vertical carvings.
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty

NMBROOK
#52 Posted : 31 December 2013 09:27:22

Groups:

Looking great SandyCool Cool Some very nice carving work above the niche and I do much prefer your tiles to Bill Short's wooden honeycomb.The windows are fabulous,did you use scribed acetate or the mesh?
Kind Regards Nigel
SandyM
#53 Posted : 01 January 2014 20:09:40

Hi Nigel,
Thanks a lot for your comments I have missed bouncing ideas off you.
The windows, after counting the panes on the painting I settled on 2mm diamond mesh, that's down to you and thanks again for giving me the heads up.
I have cracked the face panels on the prow their all made now, the castings did not work I lost to much detail as they were to thin, a depth of 2mm, so I tooled some copper that worked a treat although the foliage is a bit vague, I will post a photo when the pedestals are done. The Agapanthus is causing me problems at the moment.
The tiles could have been better I feel their a bit scrappy but I will press on with the vertical ties and how it looks and replace if needed.
The steerage window on the upper gallery walkway looks like a carbon copy of the kings room window further up. I will have to cut them out before mounting the gallery's.
I will look in on log soon, have manage to keep to your timeline?
All the best mate,
Sandy

Billing Jyland
Billing Wasa
De Pardo HMS Bounty