Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
San Felipe 1:30 Canon Dio Options
delboy271155
#41 Posted : 12 January 2014 16:07:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All, BigGrin

Well here`s an update and at last I`m getting into the detailing.

This cannon dio is fully rigged so the pics below show the depth of detail available in a kit of this scale.

I`ll just let the six pics below tell the rest of the story. BigGrin

Well that`s all for now.

Rigging blocks and ropes still to be added, along with buckets, barrels and of course the gun crew.

Comments welcome Crying

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
SanFelipe32_zps0186483b.jpg
SanFelipe33_zpsd214ea13.jpg
SanFelipe34_zpsf543a8a3.jpg
SanFelipe35_zps7ef14f5e.jpg
SanFelipe36_zps07068055.jpg
SanFelipe37_zps7be78f74.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

daffy09
#42 Posted : 12 January 2014 20:23:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Phew! That's quite an amazing diorama Derek. I love the detail on the cannon, and the different colours of wood used
Looking forward to seeing this one completed: well done.
I see Artesania Latina have just introduced a similar kit for one of HMS Victory's 12 pdr cannon in 1:32 scale which I might look in to when I've finished the grand old ship herself.
Happy building
David

Gandale
#43 Posted : 12 January 2014 23:00:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Derek, looks stunning.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#44 Posted : 13 January 2014 21:20:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

daffy09 wrote:
Phew! That's quite an amazing diorama Derek. I love the detail on the cannon, and the different colours of wood used
Looking forward to seeing this one completed: well done.
I see Artesania Latina have just introduced a similar kit for one of HMS Victory's 12 pdr cannon in 1:32 scale which I might look in to when I've finished the grand old ship herself.
Happy building
David

Hi Daffy, BigGrin

Many thanks for the kind comments.

I too have the Vic to build, albeit on the back burner as the Sots is my main build, but I will certainly be looking into that Vic dio as a fill in build. Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#45 Posted : 13 January 2014 21:22:54

Gandale wrote:
Lovely work Derek, looks stunning.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, BigGrin

Many thanks for taking the time to look in. Cool

I am really liking this little build as an infill, especially if I get a long task to do on my main build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#46 Posted : 15 January 2014 09:57:16

Hi all, BigGrin

Just a very short update.

Filling buckets:

One with powder

One with water.

Powder one:

Filled bucket to just below the level I required, with crushed down graphite from a carpenters pencil. Then put thin layer of gel superglue on top and quickly added more graphite to level required.

Water one:

First attempt, filled bucket with matt varnish, left overnight.
Result, empty bucket with a nicely varnished interior.
Confused Blushing Blushing Confused.

Second attempt, with a bit of assistance from Mr T and a dose of humour from Karl Flapper, its looking good.See pic below

"Thanks" Mr T

That`s all folks!!

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
SanFelipe38_zps62aaad0a.jpg

Martyn Ingram
#47 Posted : 15 January 2014 18:58:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Lovely work Del and love the buckets dear liza LOL LOL Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#48 Posted : 15 January 2014 21:33:09

Martyn Ingram wrote:
BigGrin Lovely work Del and love the buckets dear liza LOL LOL Rgd Martyn

Hi Martyn,LOL

I`m loving this little build the detail is great. Cool

Best thing is there`s still more to come.

Thanks for looking in and the kind comments.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

stevie_o
#49 Posted : 15 January 2014 23:37:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#50 Posted : 16 January 2014 12:51:20

stevie_o wrote:
Very nice Del, did you manage to find a dome for this?
Steve

Hi Steve,BigGrin

Thanks for looking in and yes I have sourced an Acrylic dome.

The supplier is "project plastics" on ebay at a cost of £27.50 inc p+p.

Not cheap, but required to protect the dio.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#51 Posted : 16 January 2014 17:24:39

Hi All,BigGrin

This is the part of this kit I really wasn`t looking forward too.

I have never painted figurines on any scale near this, so it was a definite first and I was concerned as to the results.

To that end I consulted with my local games workshop, especially with regards to skin colours, as my attempts to mix a suitable skin colour were should we say laughable. LOL LOL LOL

There suggestion was as follows:

Skin colour, Citadel layer: Kislev Flesh
Wash colour: Citadel shade: Agrax Earthshade.

I used the wash to give the all over dirty appearance of the crew.

Here`s the results in four pics below.

I have not painted any facial details on the figurines, as I think the shading makes it irrelevant.

I am seriously open to any advise on the subject of figurine painting as and where required, so feel free to comment.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

SanFelipe39_zps8b14a860.jpg
SanFelipe40_zps266888b7.jpg
SanFelipe41_zps5d88e779.jpg
SanFelipe42_zpsaec168ef.jpg

Gandale
#52 Posted : 16 January 2014 21:03:10

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Figurines are looking great Derek, very very nice for your first attempt.... Well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#53 Posted : 16 January 2014 21:08:26

Gandale wrote:
Figurines are looking great Derek, very very nice for your first attempt.... Well done.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, BigGrin

Just glad to say that the scale is a lot easier at 1:30.

Now have to adjust for the scale of the Sots/Victory Crying Crying

At least I`ve made a start on figurine painting, as they say "it can only get easier"

PLEASE LOL LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Plymouth57
#54 Posted : 16 January 2014 22:22:49

Hi Delboy

That's not bad at all for your first ever! Well done!
The only extra I would suggest is a little drybrushing of a lighter tone of the main clothes colours to complement the wash effect, this will give you both shadows (which you've already got) and high lights to give more depth. The second figure's hair might also benefit from highlighting too, the first one looks fine as he is!Cool

Best of luck with them

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
delboy271155
#55 Posted : 17 January 2014 11:30:08

Plymouth57 wrote:
Hi Delboy

That's not bad at all for your first ever! Well done!
The only extra I would suggest is a little drybrushing of a lighter tone of the main clothes colours to complement the wash effect, this will give you both shadows (which you've already got) and high lights to give more depth. The second figure's hair might also benefit from highlighting too, the first one looks fine as he is!Cool

Best of luck with them

Robin

Hi Robin Cool

Firstly thanks for looking in and then many thanks for the info on how to improve the figurine painting.
Must admit, didn`t like the second figures hair at all, looks a bit like a plastic wig LOL LOL .

Will give your suggestions a go and see how things turn out.

Many Thanks

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

stevie_o
#56 Posted : 17 January 2014 11:34:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

delboy271155
#57 Posted : 17 January 2014 11:54:00

stevie_o wrote:
Nice work on the figures Del, they look great. Will you be removing the bases?
Steve

Hi Steve,BigGrin

Yep, the bases will certainly be removed.

I`ve left them on for now as something to hold while painting.

On the box artwork they have been painted a grass green colour.

See pic below.

Not sure what that`s all about, so they`ve got to go.

Thanks for looking in and the kind comments.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
SanFelipe43_zps6a9f9f7c.jpg

delboy271155
#58 Posted : 23 January 2014 17:14:49

Hi All,BigGrin BigGrin

This build is now in the finished gallery.

See here

Thanks for looking in. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)