Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New Modeller to this Site- D51 Locomotive Options
crbc54
#1 Posted : 30 January 2014 22:21:42

Groups: Registered

Hi All,I am new to DeAgostini and have no experience of part builds each month.Can anyone give me an opinion on this and D51 Locomotive in particular.I have been building various scale model Tamiya plastic kits recently with some success Do you think I would therefore be able to tackle this D51 build.How good are the instructions and do they explain how to paint or laquer the model.Any feedback would be great to help me take the plunge and go for it.Many Thanks,Clive
jase
#2 Posted : 30 January 2014 22:38:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you have experience of building plastic kits you will have no problem at all with the D51. The instructions are far superior to the average plastic kit instructions.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
crbc54
#3 Posted : 30 January 2014 22:43:48

Dear Jase,Thank you for replying and this answer gives me more confidence to go ahead.Cheers,Clive
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 30 January 2014 22:49:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Clive
Firstly welcome to the forum and below I hope I answer your query's.
Part works are designed so you can get a set amount of parts every month at a reasonable cost to yourself rather than having to spend the full amount in one go , so its a little kinder to the bank balance.
You have mentioned building several Tamiya plastic kits in the past and this will I think help you in your D51 build if you choose to take it on, you will get a monthly downloaded set of instructions for the parts provided which are very clear and concise and take the modeller through each and every stage for that issue.
There is a choice in the finish of painting or a laquer, I have chosen a painted finish but both options are clearly explained as the build continues.
I do think that you will enjoy this build but i am biased as im already building her. Hope this helps
regards
AndyCool

P.S feel free to look at the official build which is in the brass laquer effect and mine which is in the painted guise
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#5 Posted : 30 January 2014 23:03:49

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Clive and welcome to the forum... I started on this forum as a first time modeller and am now subscribing to a number of DeAg builds, they are all great kits and the instructions provided are excellent... Would have to concur with Jase and Andy, with the detailed instructions you get plus your experience with plastic kits should mean you will be able produce a really nice build..... Cool Cool Hope you enjoy your time with us....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#6 Posted : 30 January 2014 23:08:41

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace Clive Cool

You've certainly no worries about having to contend with any soldering as its not needed.
Feel free to share your build with us as its always good to see another build underway.
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 30 January 2014 23:16:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hi Clive,
this is a wonderful kit and if you can tackle a Tamiya kit you have all the skills you need.You will find the same level of quality and fit as in the Tamiya kits.Even though it is mainly metal it is very easy to build so far.
Carl
Warthog
#8 Posted : 31 January 2014 00:03:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Welcome to the forum Clive BigGrin

A great choice with the D51 and very popular here.. As has already been said there is a wealth of information on the forum regarding this partwork and you will have great a great time building it..

Spencer
crbc54
#9 Posted : 31 January 2014 13:04:06

Hi All,Many thanks to you all for replying.You have all definitely help me take the plunge and subscribe to the D51.All the kits I have built so far are Tamiya,Zvezda and Bell Kits.Everyone seems very positive about DeAgostini so well done to the Manufacturer.I now feel able to ask for help if I need it.Cheers,Clive
crbc54
#10 Posted : 31 January 2014 13:16:10

Dear All,forgot to ask about what tools are required to build the D51?
Many Thanks,Clive
Tomick
#11 Posted : 31 January 2014 13:41:11

Groups:

Just a basic selection of hand tools which you likely already have.
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 31 January 2014 23:34:13

BigGrin Hi Clive
all I use is a set of jewlers/watchmakers screwdrivers, medium thickness super glue ,epoxy glue and some thread lock solution but the super glue can also lock the nuts
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

crbc54
#13 Posted : 01 February 2014 14:53:48

OK Andy,Thats really helpful.I will take your advice,
Cheers,Clive