Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Cannon 'red lips'! Options
jeff averre
#1 Posted : 13 July 2010 14:09:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Noticed in a few build diaries that some members are painting the end of the barrel red, this did'nt look quite right to me so took a closer look at photo's and I think you will find that the 'red' is from the wooden inserts that were placed in the end of the barrel to stop 'things' Huh (water, birds etc) getting in!
When I come to build the cannon's I may make some insert's and paint them.
While on the subject of cannons, do'es anybody else think the ring round the end of the muzzle looks a bit too sharp, I may also 'emery' this down a bit! Confused
Whowever this is all in the future for me as I'm waiting for all the cannon before I start them, but I'd still like your view's.Blink
Mike Turpin
#2 Posted : 13 July 2010 14:19:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

jeff averre wrote:
Noticed in a few build diaries that some members are painting the end of the barrel red, this did'nt look quite right to me so took a closer look at photo's and I think you will find that the 'red' is from the wooden inserts that were placed in the end of the barrel to stop 'things' Huh (water, birds etc) getting in!
When I come to build the cannon's I may make some insert's and paint them.
While on the subject of cannons, do'es anybody else think the ring round the end of the muzzle looks a bit too sharp, I may also 'emery' this down a bit! Confused
Whowever this is all in the future for me as I'm waiting for all the cannon before I start them, but I'd still like your view's.Blink

Hi Jeff

If you check out this link Victory Colour Scheme from the official Victory website you will see that both the 'Gun Tompion' (the wooden plug) and the muzzle faces were painted with red ochre. If you check out the picture on the same page you will see that the muzzle faces are indeed red. That's why several forum members have followed the Trafalgar scheme.

The reason for the tompion was to keep the powder charge dry in the guns. Guns were kept loaded when a ship was cruising in an area where enemy ships might be sighted.

Mike T

willz
#3 Posted : 13 July 2010 14:21:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Also if you check out Mike T`s build (Victory - Leeds Build) you will see he made a tompion out of a cocktail stick.
Willz
Capt Stedders
#4 Posted : 13 July 2010 14:51:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

jeff averre wrote:

While on the subject of cannons, does anybody else think the ring round the end of the muzzle looks a bit too sharp, I may also 'emery' this down a bit! Confused

Yes, it is.

A slightly more rounded muzzle would be more accurate - but short of making my own barrels or adding a sliver of stryrene tube to the end of each one and sanding to a more rounded contour, I think I shall just file that detail under 'expedient compromise'

Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

jeff averre
#5 Posted : 15 July 2010 02:47:15

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks for the follow-up lad's, just go's to show, just cos something look's odd it dos'nt mean it aint right, I'll have to look more closely on some more pic's, as far as I can see on on the photo's I have, only the 'pontions' are red!