Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Stevie's Emhar 1/35 Scale MKIV "Male" Tank - WW1 Diorama Options
Plymouth57
#21 Posted : 18 February 2014 21:31:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Blink A TINY bit smaller??Crying Crying BigGrin BigGrin

Robin Drool
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
stevie_o
#22 Posted : 19 February 2014 21:26:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Jase,
Did some more to this one today,
The first pic shows the original tow thingy on the front, this has now been removed and I will making something else to go here from some beer can aluminiumBigGrin the next 3 pics show that my worries about the fit of the parts were certainly justified as I have had a pretty tough time with the inside track sides (dont know what they are called). CA glue was the only way to get these to stay put and then I had to make a CA weld line all the way down the inside - this will obviously be under the tracks so will never be seen, looks a mess right now thoughBigGrin

Pic 4 shows the tracks glued together (4 sections of each) and this is how they will stay overnight to train them into some sort of track shape. They are made of a horrible hard rubber / plastic which should be called rastic or plubberLOL

Pic 5 shows some reinforcements inside the the "outside" track sides...if that makes sense, this was a butt joint so no support for the glue to set.

Then a couple more pics of the current state of things, it may sound weird if I say that the fit of this kit is very good, BUT fitting it together is very bad...what I mean is once you work out a way for the butt joints to overlap, the right angle for each joint and manage to get them glued the fit in the end is good.

And finally the last 2 pics are for Robin - is this the hatch you mean't could be left open and if so is it the whole hatch that would open or a part of that bit in the last pic. There is no hole in the hull top but I can cut one out easily enough.
Steve

stevie_o attached the following image(s):
DSC06692.JPG
DSC06693.JPG
DSC06694.JPG
DSC06695.JPG
DSC06696.JPG
DSC06697.JPG
DSC06698.JPG
DSC06699.JPG
DSC06700.JPG
DSC06701.JPG
Plymouth57
#23 Posted : 19 February 2014 23:19:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's the one Stevie! According to the drawings in the Haynes manual its just the top sloping panel with the hinges on that opens up and over. The same plan shows the thickness of the hatch being visible so the moving part actually sits on top of the wedge. From the look of the moulding I think it would be easier to sand off the hinges and cut out the access hole through the top and then make a new plasticard hatch cover rather than try to saw off the top. The 'angle iron' frame should only come up to the bottom of the hatch thickness not to the very top (if you can see what I mean)Confused
Any probs, let me know and I'll scan the hatch drawing for you.
My next installment should be up tomorrow!

Robin

PS I know just what you mean about those butt joints, so far my little 1/72's have had very good fits for the pieces but, like you, a real Cursing trying to actually fit them together - coming on though!BigGrin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
stevie_o
#24 Posted : 19 February 2014 23:50:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Robin - There are very few top down photos of this one on the net, I even have my own bovington pics but none of the top of the hull! I was just about to ask you for a scan of the hatch when I noticed your post in the reference books section, the haynes manual front cover shows the hatchBigGrin Although your description was good enough I wanted to be sure what you meant. The best thing about a small hatch opening is that with a figure stuck in there I wont need any inside detail.
Thanks
Steve
stevie_o
#25 Posted : 22 February 2014 00:24:03

I cut the hatch out earlier, I intend to have a figure standing here on the dio. I also had to file down the thickness of the hatch sides as they would have appeared way out of scale.
The lid is made from some coffee tin metal with some brass trim round the edge and a handle, not sure if its too thin or not though really? I also have no idea what the hatch inside would have looked like, the hinges are on the outside so presumably wont be seen at this positionConfused
Steve

DSC06730.JPG
Gandale
#26 Posted : 22 February 2014 11:34:36

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking superb Stevie and nice work on the hatch conversion..... Cool Cool ..

Regards

Alan
jase
#27 Posted : 22 February 2014 13:40:22

Looks fantastic, nice job. can't beet a bit of scratch build. as for the hinge, depending on the arangment you might have seen the rivets on the inside.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
stevie_o
#28 Posted : 22 February 2014 20:49:23

Thanks for looking Alan & Jase,
Really should be getting back to the Victory soon but Im having fun with plastic at the momentBigGrin

A couple more pics, made the tow plate at the front from some tin sheet and did the rivets with a pounce wheel, the same one used for the rivets on the victory, seems to have worked out ok though.
The tracks went on reluctantly and I also had to pad out the underside with some strip wood to give around a 1mm gap between the side plates and track. There is still some work to do on the tracks to get the fit even all round. I may get a heatgun to warm them and let them find their own fit and then cool in position as they are made of a hard plastic rubber so very stiff.
The lower pic shows the size of this thing compared to my other current build the M3 stuart, youd never think they were the same scale.

A few more bits and pieces to go on now and then a good look over for cracks to fill and then he will be ready for some primerBigGrin
Steve
DSC06749.JPG
DSC06750.JPG
DSC06745.JPG
DSC06751.JPG
DSC06744.JPG
stevie_o
#29 Posted : 23 February 2014 15:27:25

I decided I wanted the sponson door open, so cut out the plastic one and fitted one from the coffee can metal again, added a few strips of rivets and seems to look ok - it's not glued in place properly yet so may look a bit wonkyBigGrin
The big hole in the plastic door is because I was planning to cut it out from corner to corner as the plastic is so thick but then thought it best to take out in one piece to use as a template.

Steve
DSC06752.JPG
DSC06753.JPG
DSC06762.JPG
DSC06764.JPG
DSC06765.JPG
Plymouth57
#30 Posted : 23 February 2014 19:14:39

Oh you rotter!!LOL
That's what I'm planning on doing for one of the half tank sections! Do you need the sponson internal pics?

Looking really great! Keep them coming Stevie.

Robin
stevie_o
#31 Posted : 23 February 2014 22:09:19

Thankyou Robin, I did the sponson door as I have downloaded a copy of the Airwaves photo etch instructions and there is a door supplied there that can be left open. Although I cant get the etch anywhere it dosent really matter now as im making the etch parts instead. There are a couple of rivet strips to add to the unditching rail brackets and some bits on the exhaust too.
As for pics then yes if you can, but - Im going to have the door closed a little more than is shown in the pics so not much will be seen inside. I have found a tank crew figure - My son had a box of tamiya russian tank crew from ww2 but one of them has the full overalls on and no hat so he's perfect for the open hatch.BigGrin
Thanks for the other pic btw, I dont think I need to put in that latch to be honest but nice to see it.
Steve
Gandale
#32 Posted : 23 February 2014 23:05:56

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Fab skills being shown here Stevie, really enjoy following your work....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#33 Posted : 24 February 2014 01:26:51

stevie_o
#34 Posted : 25 February 2014 18:54:37

The plastic exhaust was not too good in this kit either so I have made one from some metal rod and tin sheet, the plastic one was too straight and looked wrong but with the metal could bend the pipe to match the real thing.

Thankyou Robin for the pic, however I have now fitted the sponsons and with the door closed a little more not much can be seen in there anyway, I did give it a white spray but that cant even be seen so the detail would have been wasted I think.
The unditching rails are next and I think I may use the kit ones but cut off the brackets and replace them and fit some extra rivet strips too.

Steve
DSC06770.JPG
DSC06771.JPG
DSC06772.JPG
DSC06774.JPG
DSC06775.JPG
DSC06776.JPG
Plymouth57
#35 Posted : 25 February 2014 22:20:35

Wow! I love that exhaust, you might have to disregard my next posting with the bit about'getting the exhaust ready for painting" Drool

Brilliantly done!

Robin
Tomick
#36 Posted : 25 February 2014 23:00:59

Groups:

Taking great shape Steve Cool
Gandale
#37 Posted : 25 February 2014 23:14:23

Really taking shape now and looking the part..... Looking forward to seeing more.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
stevie_o
#38 Posted : 26 February 2014 22:35:41

Thanks for the comments guysBigGrin

Managed to get the unditching rails on at last they were complete swines, I was going to replace them but got them done eventually. They are pretty much in scale but the brackets were wrong so I cut those off. Also, the Emhar kit rails has the flat side of these facing inward which is wrong - so changing the brackets also gave me the opportunity to reverse these.

Did a little filler here and there, not as much as thought Id need though and then a black primer. I always use black as when the base colour is oversprayed the missed recesses and cracks show darker and looks much better.

BTW Robin, after much deliberation I think I may have to go for a green base with lots of brown washes, even though I still think brown is the right colourBigGrin

Steve
DSC06779.JPG
DSC06781.JPG
DSC06783.JPG
DSC06784.JPG
DSC06785.JPG
DSC06786.JPG
DSC06787.JPG
Plymouth57
#39 Posted : 26 February 2014 22:59:33

What a difference that black primer makes! She looks quite 'evil' somehow! Cool
Must admit, I'm not looking forward to those rails either and I might go down your route and reverse them as well Crying
I would have to admit as well, the brown scheme is the more logical for the western front but somehow green just looks better and more 'British'!BigGrin

Looking really great!

Robin
stevie_o
#40 Posted : 02 March 2014 01:11:38

Thankyou Robin,

Got the base green on now and also the "friendly" ID markings as this is a late war version.

I needed to make this a 12th Battalion tank so had to create a stencil for the "L" prefix with the crew number. The stencil is just masking tape and then I just dabbed the white on with a flat sponge, I wanted it to look slightly grainy and am fairly happy with the lettering. This tank as you can see is L51 with the name "Lynx" I have narrowed down my grandads tank crew to around 15 numbers now as he was injured on the 21st August 1918. So, Im going by the tanks of 12th battalion "C" company that were used on that day at the battle of Albert. I went for Lynx also as the name will be hand painted and its only 4 lettersLOL

Obviously the white lettering will be well toned down after the weathering and washes etc - looks a bit weird being bright whiteBigGrin

The serial number will be 8004 and I may have to get some decals for this.

DSC06802.JPG
DSC06808.JPG
DSC06809.JPG
DSC06810.JPG
DSC06811.JPG
DSC06812.JPG