Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Bow Spacing Pieces Options
luna
#1 Posted : 12 June 2010 15:30:00

Groups: Registered

Hi all

just a quick question from someone whose never built a wooden model before, the pieces that fit into the No12 frame all seem extremely tight i.e to the point that i cant get them in. i am worried that if i file away bits i may end up with the pieces to high or to low can anyone offer some advice?

Many thanx

Glen

Glen
There are two types of Boats in the Royal Navy
Submarines and Targets.

CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 12 June 2010 15:33:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Glen, and welcome to the forum.

I found those parts tight as well. but i gave the recesses on the hull a light sanding with a needle file and they fit just fine.BigGrin Literally taken only microns off (a couple of quick passes with the file)Huh

I think everything will line up right when we get the lower gun deck and the ribs are glued in place.

Good luck with your build

Graham
jonny7england
#3 Posted : 12 June 2010 15:35:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

luna wrote:
Hi all

just a quick question from someone whose never built a wooden model before, the pieces that fit into the No12 frame all seem extremely tight i.e to the point that i cant get them in. i am worried that if i file away bits i may end up with the pieces to high or to low can anyone offer some advice?

Many thanx

Glen

Because the pieces are laser cut, they are tight. I had the same problem, but using fine grained sand paper and rubbing the wood gently, I was able to fit all the pieces snugly no problem...
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
luna
#4 Posted : 12 June 2010 15:42:25

thanx for the answers guys i will give it a try on the recesses it probably is just with the laser cutting but i didn't want to commit till i had asked the question as i know you guys on here have the experience, thats why i joined the forum. Again thanx for the prompt answers

Glen

Glen
There are two types of Boats in the Royal Navy
Submarines and Targets.

Mark
#5 Posted : 12 June 2010 17:19:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Wood is a natural material, and expands/contracts with humidity, temperature, etc. It's not unusual to find something is a bit tight, or maybe even feels a little loose in the slots. Can't fault the earlier advise.
steve p
#6 Posted : 13 June 2010 11:43:36

I had the same problem wth my parts, but the use of a small file will correct this, I myself prefer them to be a bit tight as it is far easier to file or sand to fit rather than pieces being loose and having to correct problems
amipal
#7 Posted : 16 July 2010 00:39:24

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Some of the ribs are incredibly tight. I haven't glued any of mine in yet, but some of them are going to be damned difficult to remove prior to gluing!