Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Keepng D51 tarnish free Options
crbc54
#1 Posted : 08 March 2014 14:23:42

Groups: Registered

Hi All,Received my first subscription this week.Arrived in pristine condition thanks to excellent packaging.I am planning to leave in brass finish but it has occurred to me that it may tarnish and finger prints will be left when assembling.Could you tell me how to avoid this-what cleaner can I use.I was going to clear lacquer the model to maintain in polished condition when complete.Thanks,CliveBlink
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 08 March 2014 14:37:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Clive
You could use cotton gloves for the major handling this will stop most of the finger prints but I think the best plan would be to polish and laquer the parts as you receive them and then assemble. This way all the parts will be prepared and will just need a quick wipe over afterwards.
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

crbc54
#3 Posted : 08 March 2014 14:51:22

Hi Andy,Thank you for your reply and help.That sounds a great idea.Will try it out when I get started.Cheers,Clive
Dennis
#4 Posted : 10 March 2014 10:28:45

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Clive,

Regarding a clear coat to seal/protect the brass. See my post 'Paint first but what about the glue'.
Tomick explained in post 2 that a tutorial will be included in stages 92 to 100 on clear coat and black paint.
The clear coat will be aimed at those D51 builders like yourself that wish to retain the natural brass finish.

cheers

Dennis
crbc54
#5 Posted : 10 March 2014 12:31:24

Hi Dennis, Thank you for this information. Will have a look and follow guidelines outlined in forum post.Cheers,Clive