Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

seat harness Options
willz
#1 Posted : 27 March 2014 22:01:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Ok the seat and harness for the 1/12 spitfire.
First I would like to point out that i`m not doing this model and have no idea how it fits in the plane, so if your thinking of making this seat all calculations must be done to make sure everything fits, on the other hand the harness will be no problem to fit.

First the harness as most will only want this enhancement, this is very simple but a little awkward. Just measured the width and it comes in at 2.65 mm (thats digital callipers for you so say about two and a half mm) I made the harness out of 1.67 gsm epson matte paper heavyweight card (because thats what I had), but use any quality card. Ok so all I did was cut the card to 2.65 mm strips then with a round diamond file I twirled in the six holes is each strap, next I folded the strap just above the holes and whilst still folded I gripped the fold with tweezers and folded back the strap to form a rib shape thingy (photo), next I painted the straps with gouache paint, I mixed the colour till happy, I realise that most wont have gouache paint but use whatever you have, gouache is just water paint only in tubes like oil paint, just experiment, I never follow any rules.
willz attached the following image(s):
31.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
7a.jpg
8.jpg
willz
#2 Posted : 27 March 2014 22:11:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Next came the buckles, these were made out of 5 amp fuse wire, I cut a strip of my victory planking to suit then rapped the wire round a few times, then with great care I cut through them with a stanley blade,
4.jpg
5.jpg
willz
#3 Posted : 27 March 2014 22:22:45

You can just tidy them up and use them at this point but I decided to give them that flat look, I did this in my mini rolson vice, heres how, one at a time I placed them on a stanley blade and sandwiched it with another stanley blade then gripping the two blades together placed them in the vice and tightened, loosened the vice and hey presto a nice flat buckle, the stanley blades serve two purposes here, one is to make it possible to hold them to get into the vice the other is to maintain a reasonably smooth finish
6.jpg
7.jpg
willz
#4 Posted : 27 March 2014 22:30:56

The belts were glued onto the seat before putting the buckles on, this makes it easier, then the buckles were glued onto the belts with super glue just like photo etch, because we previously put a kink in the harness with our tweezers it gives the impression that the buckle has a centre bar when it doesn`t (all simple stuff)
buckle.jpg
willz
#5 Posted : 27 March 2014 22:45:27

Next came the lower bits, I just cut these to represent some photos I found on the net, the belt on the right should go through an oval hole in the side of the seat but I didn`t bother cutting a hole, and again the metal clasp was made from 5 amp fuse with tweezers then clamped flat in the vice, as you can see in the photo I only painted one side of the belt with the clasp this allows the card to curve in a natural way with no kinks, thats about it for the harness, any questions, next the seat
22.jpg
23.jpg
willz
#6 Posted : 27 March 2014 23:04:59

The seat, I had some scrap 1.5 mm ply to make this with, like to point out at this point when you`ve been modelling for a while you eventually get most of the tools bits and pieces of scrap materials and paints ect ect so if you are new and just starting out dont worry you`ll get there, anyhow on with the seat, first cut it to my guestimated width rounded off the top and split into two, then I made the sides just copied from photos, the front piece is some 0.7 mm walnut strip I just happened to have hanging about.

The sides and back of the seat have been filed to make it look thinner, you only need to file on the edges to achieve this, last photo
12.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
willz
#7 Posted : 27 March 2014 23:26:59

The leather backrest, this was a complete prototype, cut a piece of 1.67 gsm card (again use anything) then cut some strips and glued them together (photo), then I brushed water on a piece of normal a4 printing paper and left for a few minutes, tic toc tic toc tic toc then brushed it with glue, placed the backrest on some dry a4 then sandwiched it with the wet one, with it being wet it falls into the shape, helped it a bit with soft dabs and left to dry
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
willz
#8 Posted : 27 March 2014 23:36:37

When dry because I only soaked the front it curles forwards to represent the shape of the backrest, (bit of luck that one) ok cut it out and painted it with some brown tamiya acrylic paint and left to dry, tic toc tic toc tic toc then gave it a light sanding with some wet and dry this sort of makes it look a little patchy, and finally gave it a very thin wash of some off black tamiya paint this seals the seat and leaves a slight shine on the backrest
13.jpg