Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The awesome story of how the Nostromo prop from Alien was rescued Options
Silent_Running
#1 Posted : 31 March 2014 10:54:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi guys,

I found this and thought I would share it with you, the first link is for the article and the next link is the video of the actual restoration itself. The prop of the ship itself is called a miniature, but in actual fact it is massive. After the original Alien film finished (1979) the prop sat outside on a driveway, exposed to the elements for over 20 years. This article and the video is the story of how it was saved. Thank goodness for these guys otherwise the Nostromo would have been lost.Crying As it was, it was a close run thing!

Take a look at this fantastic ship, the detail and then tell me this doesn't deserve to made into a part-work? Drool Drool

The Article:

Nostromo restoration project link

The Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NoCsZvYeEQ

It makes fascinating reading and viewing enjoy!
BigGrin
Stupot
#2 Posted : 31 March 2014 18:44:45

Hi Glenn, Thanks for posting this.I really enjoyed watching the video.They did an amazing job on the restoration.I'm just really surprised though that this model had sat in the rain for 20 years.It's such an iconic film, i would have thought it would be in a SciFi museum or something.I've saved this on YouTube as there is lots of other interesting videos connected to this one.Thanks.Stu
Silent_Running
#3 Posted : 31 March 2014 18:55:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stupot wrote:
Hi Glenn, Thanks for posting this.I really enjoyed watching the video.They did an amazing job on the restoration.I'm just really surprised though that this model had sat in the rain for 20 years.It's such an iconic film, i would have thought it would be in a SciFi museum or something.I've saved this on YouTube as there is lots of other interesting videos connected to this one.Thanks.Stu

You're very welcome stu. BigGrin
spikee
#4 Posted : 01 April 2014 09:31:04

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Glen.
I had heard about this a bit back.I cant believe the Nostromo was just sat in a driveway...for years!How much would that be worth!You cant even leave a bike on the drive around here without it being nicked.
Great job on restoration though,and yes it would make a very nice partwork no doubt about that (after we get the Millenium Falcon ofcourse hint hint Laugh )
Jon
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 01 April 2014 16:43:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

MY dream job!!!

I know models from the original Star Wars sell for >$50,000 even for parts of the filming models.

I also read that after Thunderbirds was over some of the models were just thrown away.

I`m glad someone cared enough about this model to restore it.Beautiful restoration.
Sinbad
#6 Posted : 01 April 2014 22:24:26

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Thanks for sharing Stu. One of my favourite movies. I have all the Blu-rays.
As has been said, it's amazing that this was discarded. But,that's movie folk I guess. We take it more seriously than they do.
Yes, you would hardly call it a miniature. In fact I read many years ago that this was why a lot of the ships used in British sci-fi tv and movies were not very convincing because they were just that, miniatures.
It must be a very gratifying job doing what these guys do,oh, and the lady.