Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
DaDokta´s D-51 build Options
DaDokta
#1 Posted : 05 May 2014 08:33:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi!
I received the first parts of this model on friday - and couldn`t resist starting right away.

This is my first experiance with epoxy-glue and i`m afraid i messed around a little bit!
Is there any good advise how to clean the metal and make it shine again?
DaDokta attached the following image(s):
IMG_5064.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5068.JPG
IMG_5073.JPG
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 05 May 2014 08:53:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dokta
A very nice start there I can understand you wanting to get going as you unpacked her as it just jumps right at you saying 'build me'Drool .
If you are intending to go for the brass finish I would recommend getting some cotton gloves to minimise the greasy fingers marking the metal, also the parts come in a coat of protective oil so any epoxy spills/marks should lift off when washed in soapy water I think if not use a very mild metal polish. Hope this helps and keep p the good work
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

DaDokta
#3 Posted : 05 May 2014 10:03:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Andy for your tips!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Warthog
#4 Posted : 05 May 2014 10:31:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Lovely start to a beautiful kit Dokta and look forward to more of your posts on this.BigGrin

Spencer
stevie_o
#5 Posted : 05 May 2014 10:59:29

Gary O
#6 Posted : 06 June 2014 11:47:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Acetone is a good cleaner/solvent for epoxy. If your wife has nail polish remover that may also do the trick.
D51, Senna McLaren. Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C-2300 Monza 1931 1/8 scale. Pocher Lamborghini Aventador white roadster.Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari Enzo. Toyota GT2000.
DaDokta
#7 Posted : 07 July 2014 08:00:14

As i didn`t like my results of Pack 2 at all - with all the adheasive spill everywhere - i reordered Pack 2 and tried again.

I´m much more pleased with the results this time.
IMG_5259.JPG
IMG_5261.JPG
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
DaDokta
#8 Posted : 07 July 2014 11:23:55

I still find it very hard to keep the brass clean! My idea was that the model would be easier to build if not painted - but i`m not so sure anymore.
Especially the super glue is hard to work with - it makes white shades on the brass, which i dont`t know how to remove!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
Supaheli
#9 Posted : 07 July 2014 11:27:46

DaDokta wrote:
I still find it very hard to keep the brass clean! My idea was that the model would be easier to build if not painted - but i`m not so sure anymore.
Especially the super glue is hard to work with - it makes white shades on the brass, which i dont`t know how to remove!
if it looks wrong before it the super glue sets quickly wipe off with water
Supaheli
DaDokta
#10 Posted : 07 July 2014 12:13:12

OK thanks.
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
Gary O
#11 Posted : 07 July 2014 12:47:53

Super Glue is available in different thicknesses. I use the medium (JET brand) because the thin stuff runs everywhere. Find a good hobby shop that specializes in Radio Control planes, they should carry it.

Acetone should also dissolve super glue and help clean up. The hobby shop should carry a super glue cleaner/solvent.
D51, Senna McLaren. Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C-2300 Monza 1931 1/8 scale. Pocher Lamborghini Aventador white roadster.Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari Enzo. Toyota GT2000.
jase
#12 Posted : 07 July 2014 13:16:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think I agree. the model looks great in brass, but you do get several shades. I thin she looks even better under paint.

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#13 Posted : 08 July 2014 08:54:30

Groups:

DaDokta wrote:

Superglue 'fogging' comes from moisture in the air reacting with the fumes/vapors, also the more superglue you apply, the worse it can be, and especially so in confined spaces where there is litle ventilation.

You can use a hairdryer to "dry out" the air around the glue and you won't get the fog. Good ventilation+very little glue is key.

Superglue fog can often be removed on metal parts with careful use of a superglue de-bonder and a cotton bud.
DaDokta
#14 Posted : 08 July 2014 09:37:07

Thanks for the advice, Mr.T!

If the fumes make white shades on the brass, i don`t want to imagine, what they do with my lung!!!

Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
Tomick
#15 Posted : 08 July 2014 09:53:08

Groups:

You are right to be concerned about the effect on your lungs.

Superglue/CA should always be used in a well ventilated space, as the overexposure of the fumes can cause your body to react, and you suddenly become allergic to Superglue/CA.

Some people use it a few times and become allergic, and others use it for 5yrs and become allergic. It depends on how long you've been using it and how your body reacts to it, each person is different. But no matter who you are your body is still absorbing something and it's like a ticking clock.
Once you develop an allergy to Superglue it's there for life, you'll always have a reaction after you develop and allergy to it. One minute you're feeling fine and gluing a piece in place, and the next your eyes are swelling shut and you can't breathe.
Most commonly it's a respiratory attack because breathing in the fumes is what does it. The harmful stuff is absorbed through your lungs, not your skin.

Good ventilation is the key, or for prolonged Suerglue use, you can buy a simple respirator that cleans out Organic Vapors such as the '3M organic vapor half mask'. A simple dust mask does nothing for Superglue fumes, it just removes particles. Only a mask with filters certified to remove organic vapors will protect against superglue/paint/epoxy/resin fumes.

DaDokta
#16 Posted : 08 July 2014 10:08:33

Funny Mr.T - i ordered exactly that half-mask yesterday!

As there is no real possibility for good ventilation in my building place, i thought that would be good idea.
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
Tomick
#17 Posted : 08 July 2014 10:10:37

Groups:

A good choice ThumpUp
Gary O
#18 Posted : 17 July 2014 21:05:17

If that is to protect from paint fumes, it needs to be rated for vapors....not just particles. It's very humid in Florida, it only seems to affect glossy paint, so I can still paint my flat black out in the car park, then once it's dried enough not to be stinky, I move it into my air conditioned workroom to finish drying. I'm pre painting most of the screw together parts.
DaDokta
#19 Posted : 17 July 2014 21:56:29

Hi Gary - it`s rated for vapors - that was the reason to buy it!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
DaDokta
#20 Posted : 12 September 2014 14:29:18

I completed Pack 4:
IMG_5582.JPG
IMG_5601.JPG
IMG_5603.JPG
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds: