Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Painting advice?!? Options
mavrickandgoose
#1 Posted : 25 July 2010 15:43:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,
This question is not directly for my victory build, it is actually for my endevour long boat, but still applies to painting the victory.
On my longboat build the planking was not good enough for varnish, so i decided to paint it, only problem is although i tried to use the paint thinly it looked bumpy and really bad, so i need to sand it down and start again.
i used admiralty paints, should i water them down, and if so how would i go about it? im a bit worried now, because a mess up like this on the victor would be a distaster!!!!
cheers for any advice steve
jase
#2 Posted : 25 July 2010 16:31:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

you could try thinning the paint with acrylic flow improver you can buy this from hobby craft. also your brush needs to be high quality. Ideally you want to sand the deck first than seal it if you have an airbrush this will give you the best finish. also the admiralty paints are not the best. try changing paint brand i would recommend Tamiya deck tan xf-55. for best results paint thin, then sand, then paint thin again and then give another two thin coats if needed
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
mavrickandgoose
#3 Posted : 30 July 2010 17:27:54

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Cheers for the advice jase, i gave the hull another sand, i think that was half the problem, then i found an old artists paint pallet and watered down the paint, it gave quite a good finnish, so lesson learnt!! (well untill next time!!) cheers steve