Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The Endeavour's Longboat Options
mavrickandgoose
#1 Posted : 23 April 2010 16:00:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Well here is the build log of my first boat!
I wanted a small boat to practice on before i started my victory, so i got the longboat in 3 stages. i chose to subscribe, rather than to buy the kit straight out mainly to stop me rushing! ie if i have to wait 1 month for the next parts there is no point in rushing it all today and messing it up!

After a few dry runs today i finally glued the frame work together. It all went together quite easily, and did not take to long.
Tonight i will file and sand down the frame, and i my start the planking tomorow, although i am very worried about starting this! the instructions so far have been good but when it comes to the planking there is a picture of the first plank going on and then the next picture the hull is ready for sanding! (so anyone who has built this any tips would be great!!!)

below are the pics of my frame so far

cheers
steve

mavrickandgoose
#2 Posted : 23 April 2010 16:13:58

The keel (The bow strengtheners were glued on Yesterday)

Frames added

bow and stern added

decks added

Ready for sanding and fileing

If you have any comments (good or bad) or any tips please let me know! Im here to learn!

cheers steve

Ted Smith
#3 Posted : 23 April 2010 16:55:39

Hi steve
you need to start the planking working from top bow end to the stern fix about 4or5
planks down,then repeat on the other side.Then invert the whole thing and do the same from the keel both sides as before,From here start laying planks from about the
centre of the side so that the formost of the plank meets the top section that you laid when you started,continue till the planks meet the lower section at each end.so now you should have 3 sections on each side.Now we start to fill the remaining areas that you are left with working from the top and the bottom alternately,shaping the ends to fit each end. I hope you understand all that.
Ted.
mavrickandgoose
#4 Posted : 23 April 2010 21:24:49

thanks for that i am doing the planking now, so i will follow that advice.
cheers steve
mavrickandgoose
#5 Posted : 23 April 2010 23:23:48

Well the hull has its first layer of planks, it was a very steep learning curve, but a lot of fun, it will take a fair bit off filler and sanding to get it perfect, but i am pleased with my first attempt. i will put some photos on in a min
steve
mavrickandgoose
#6 Posted : 23 April 2010 23:39:40

here we go

There we go, to the pros out there it may look quite shabby, but i am really pleased with it for a first go.
steve
Jamie
#7 Posted : 24 April 2010 13:33:09

Looks pretty darn good to me for a first attempt ThumpUp I, too, would be happy with that.

I wish I were a glow worm,
A glow worm's never glum,
'Cause how can you be grumpy?
When the sun shines out ya bum!!
Ted Smith
#8 Posted : 24 April 2010 14:11:52

Hi Steve,
Not a bad effort for a novice, still room for improvement.I'd be pleased with
that first attempt.
Ted,
mavrickandgoose
#9 Posted : 25 April 2010 12:31:29

Thanks for your comments,
used the filler to make the hull smooth and a nice hull shape, took a fair bit of sanding and filling, and i am pleased with the results (although very glad there is another layer of planking to put on to hide the filler)!!

Alexhill
#10 Posted : 25 April 2010 13:02:50

Groups:

looks very nice .. the 2nd layer of planking will make it look great I'm sure.

Enjoy

Alex
karl1113
#11 Posted : 09 May 2010 17:46:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

good start mav,don't forget to give them a good soaking first and slightly overbend before you stick them should go ok well done.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
mavrickandgoose
#12 Posted : 30 July 2010 16:30:05

Well its been a quiet week at work so managed to crack on with this build, in the evenings (Joys of no revision!!!) The second layer of planking seemed to be more tricky than the first, and so i needed to paint the hull, (which i did rubbish the first time!) so re sanded the hull, wartered down the paint and got a much better finnish! fitted the masts this afternoon, but its going to be an evening of searching the net with a few tins tonight for information and picture of the rigging on this boat, as the instructions are rubbish!! so if anyone has built it or has any photos of there own build please let me know! otherwise tommorow will be a long long day!!
cheers steve

Mike Turpin
#13 Posted : 30 July 2010 17:21:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

Hi Steve

Your longboat is looking good, the final planking seems pretty neat from the pictures.

Regarding the rigging, I assume you already have found these links:

Paul's longboat blog

Josh's build

Hope that might help with the rigging, otherwise good luck, I haven't got as far as rigging anything yet.

Mike T
mavrickandgoose
#14 Posted : 30 July 2010 17:25:10

i had seen the pauls one but not the other, cheers mike. I thought building hulls was going to be the hardest bit, but i think i might change my mind now!
mavrickandgoose
#15 Posted : 31 July 2010 16:24:21

Finnished the long boat now, i got it as a learning kit, so i could try things out before actually doing them on the victory, and i am very glad i did, as i made a few mistakes but i would rather make them on this than the victory!!!
i made up the rigging in the end as i could not make out the instructions, but i am happy with how it looks. I also left out bits on the inside such as the barrel, ropes and oars, as i didnt want to many bits inside filling it up.
although it looks a bit rough in a few places, im very happy with the end result, all i need to do now is get it back to cornwall in one piece next weekend to give to my dad for his birthday!!
Now for HM Schooner Pickle!! (might have a day off first!!)

Jack Sparrow
#16 Posted : 31 July 2010 19:58:09

Groups:

Very nice build.Cool BigGrin