Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Deck Plank Width Options
Belphe
#1 Posted : 19 January 2014 15:45:05

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I am slowly starting to plan things for my ST build and reading many interesting build logs. They are all showing OcCre version of the ship and as far as I can see, that model uses 3mm deck planking. DeAgostini planks are 5mm wide and I am concerned if this would make the model look "small" (or simply out of scale - the ship is big but the planks are huge...).

Any ideas? Those that built her, have you all followed DeAgostini and used 5mm planks or have you ordered 1x3mmm ones?

Thanks!
Gandale
#2 Posted : 19 January 2014 16:11:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Belphe wrote:
Hi,

I am slowly starting to plan things for my ST build and reading many interesting build logs. They are all showing OcCre version of the ship and as far as I can see, that model uses 3mm deck planking. DeAgostini planks are 5mm wide and I am concerned if this would not make the model look "small" (or simply out of scale - the ship is big but the planks are huge...).

Any ideas? Those that built her, have you all followed DeAgostini and used 5mm planks or have you ordered 1x3mmm ones?

Thanks!

Hi Belphe, I'm storing the issues for this build to be tackled at a later date however, I can tell you I will be changing the plank width to 3mm, maybe 4mm at the most. This I have done with my SOTS build which had exactly the same problem. On the SOTS I used 4mm decking and bought my supply from CMB....

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
jase
#3 Posted : 19 January 2014 16:51:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It is personal preference as to how you want your model to look, I think Andy's has the kit planks and it looks fine.

If you are going to reduce to 3mm you could just trim the kit planks down, would save you a small fortune Mellow

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Belphe
#4 Posted : 19 January 2014 17:11:48

Thanks for the info!

Hmm, good idea with the trimming but the planks are slightly too thin too. They are roughly 0.65 - 0.72mm compared to 1mm in OcCre Kit. Please, don't get me wrong - I made a conscious decision about going with the DeAgostini kit instead and I don't regret it. The thing is, wherever I can change something to my own liking I am willing to take my chances. That's why I'm thinking of buying the 1x3mm planks.

Being close to a total noob I cannot decide which timber should be used for this purpose. Could you tell me if I should get:
- Lime
- Maple
- Beech
???

I like the original colour of the DeAgostini strips but I am unable to identify what wood it is... :(
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 19 January 2014 17:31:55

BigGrin Hi Belphe
I just used the kit parts which look fine to me but as in all things its personal preferance.
I think the planks provided are lime but cant be sure, either way its what colour you want the decks to be when finished so using a darker wood will save having to stain if you see what I mean.
Hope this helps and will you be doing a build diary when you start up.
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

George1
#6 Posted : 11 May 2014 06:21:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Interesting to read comments on plank widths.

While this about Trinidad. I'm wondering about SOTS widths of planking?

If scale is 1/84 re SOTS then 5mm wide planking represents 1.4 feet wide in imperial and 42 cm in decimal.

If they are 4 cm then that would be 33.6 or 1.12 feet.

If they are 3mm re SOTS then that would be 25.2 cm or close enough to 10 inches wide. Which sounds about right. BigGrin

I put this just out of interest as I have no idea of what the true width of decking was on SOTS or what width the planking in SOTS issues have.

I would guess the shipwrights would want coverage as easy as possible and taking in the handling of planks re workmen. Too big, too heavy. Too small and lots more handling along with many more fasteners and wadding.

Just food for thought. I really have no idea as a total Newbie to ship modeling.BigGrin

One thing I do know and that is I won't have much other choice than to use what is in issues as I don't have a mini band saw or other tools to narrow planks perfectly. BigGrin

Regards

George1
Building HMS SOTS
Gandale
#7 Posted : 11 May 2014 11:17:20

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

George1 wrote:
Interesting to read comments on plank widths.

While this about Trinidad. I'm wondering about SOTS widths of planking?

If scale is 1/84 re SOTS then 5mm wide planking represents 1.4 feet wide in imperial and 42 cm in decimal.

If they are 4 cm then that would be 33.6 or 1.12 feet.

If they are 3mm re SOTS then that would be 25.2 cm or close enough to 10 inches wide. Which sounds about right. BigGrin

I put this just out of interest as I have no idea of what the true width of decking was on SOTS or what width the planking in SOTS issues have.

I would guess the shipwrights would want coverage as easy as possible and taking in the handling of planks re workmen. Too big, too heavy. Too small and lots more handling along with many more fasteners and wadding.

Just food for thought. I really have no idea as a total Newbie to ship modeling.BigGrin

One thing I do know and that is I won't have much other choice than to use what is in issues as I don't have a mini band saw or other tools to narrow planks perfectly. BigGrin

Regards

George1

Hi George, in reference to the SOTS I decided to go for a happy medium and changed the planking width from the 5mm to 4mm. We have an excellent supplier of planking strips here in the UK who I'm sure will post abroad... not sure on posting costs but you can always make enquiries.... Link to them is http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/

Regards

Alan
George1
#8 Posted : 11 May 2014 11:53:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Alan.

Thanks for that information and the URL re supplies of planking. Cool Cool

I somehow don't think that 5 mm planks re decking would look that good considering width on a 1/84 basis.Confused

I'm with you on narrower planks.BigGrin

I'll try Float a Boat here as they, via a conversation re paints earlier, apparently also do some tools and planking and see if they can oblige before importing.
BigGrin

What is the basic colour of the SOTS planks as per kit issues?

I know I've got some time before the deck planking is required, but it is good to be ready when it happens.

Regards and thanks again'

George
Building HMS SOTS
Gandale
#9 Posted : 11 May 2014 12:07:42

George1 wrote:
Hi Alan.

I somehow don't think that 5 mm planks re decking would look that good considering width on a 1/84 basis.Confused

I'll try Float a Boat here as they, via a conversation re paints earlier, apparently also do some tools and planking and see if they can oblige before importing.
BigGrin

I know I've got some time before the deck planking is required, but it is good to be ready when it happens.

George

Hi George, can't be certain but I think the decking strips provided was Lime, instructions only describe it as basswood. I changed them out to 4mm Tanganyka Strips.

Regards

Alan
George1
#10 Posted : 11 May 2014 12:17:05

Gandale wrote:
George1 wrote:
Hi Alan.

BigGrin

George

Hi George, can't be certain but I think the decking strips provided was Lime, instructions only describe it as basswood. I changed them out to 4mm Tanganyka Strips.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

I'll ask Float A Boat if they have those "Tanganyka" planks at 4 mm as I've seen your decking and it looks fantastic. If not I'll ask for Lime (basswood)at 4 mm as it may be the more common?

Thanks heaps for letting me know. Cool Cool

Regards

George
Building HMS SOTS
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 11 May 2014 12:20:30

BigGrin I think you will find its called BasswoodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

George1
#12 Posted : 11 May 2014 12:28:57

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin I think you will find its called BasswoodCool

Hi Andy

Thanks for that. Cool Cool

Regards

george

Building HMS SOTS
jase
#13 Posted : 11 May 2014 12:58:03

To avoide confusion when doing an internet search for this material. Basswood is American Lime. Different shops may refer to it as one or the other but it is the same thin.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#14 Posted : 11 May 2014 13:30:54

Andy/Jase, thanks for the clarity, much appreciated...

Regards

Alan
George1
#15 Posted : 12 May 2014 01:58:53

Thanks all for the information re planking. Cool Cool

At least now I know a lot more about it re identity and sizes for decking then it will be up to me to choose, which will probably be influenced by looking at a number of experienced member's builds at that stage. BigGrin

Thanks again.

George
Building HMS SOTS