Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tamiya British Mk IV male tank Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 18 May 2014 21:13:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Appears that Tamiya are to release a Mk IV male tank in 1:35 scale:

This is Tamiya's very first model of a WWI tank subject. This release celebrates the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of hostilities in what was then known as the Great War. The tanks which appeared in the conflict were the first ever seen on the battlefield, and were the forerunners of a whole line of military vehicles which is still being developed further today. The Mk.IV tank was a successor to the Mk.I, which was drawn up by British designers in attempt to break the stalemate of trench warfare experienced on the Western Front; the rhombus-shaped hull was designed to aid in crossing the extensive network of trenches. The Mk.I, first thrown into live action in September 1916 during the Battle of the Somme, had �male� (fitted with 57mm, 6-pound guns) and �female� (fitted only with machine guns) versions. Around 1,000 Mk.IV tanks were manufactured after 1917, and they inherited their shape and male/female weaponry and classifications from the Mk.I, but with significantly upgraded armor. Around 400 were used massively in the November 1917 Battle of Cambrai to great effect, and with the world accepting the new vehicle's potential the maiden tank vs. tank battle was not far behind: in 1918, the Mk.IV faced off against its German counterpart the AV7. The Tamiya model is highly accurate as extensive study of the tank was conducted at the Tank Museum in Bovington, England.

According to some of the other updates this kit will be motorised so not sure what that all turn out like although I believe Tamiya did a range of remote control tanks some years back.

On the Tamiya USA site it mentions:

Photo-etch parts Included
Decals Included
Special feature 1 Length: 230mm.
Special feature 2 Pre-assembled single motor gearbox enables forward movement.
Special feature 3 The assembly of the armor plates mirrors that on the Mk.IV.
Special feature 4 Numerous road wheels, idler wheels and drive sprockets are accurately captured with hassle-free assembly.
Special feature 5 Chains on the unditching beam are depicted using metal parts.
Special feature 6 Comes with 3 marking options, including one to recreate a vehicle which took part in the Battle of Cambrai.

They are also releasing a WW1 British infantry figure set.

More news apparently after the Shizuoka model show in May.

Should be an interesting to see Tamiya's build method for this one.

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
stevie_o
#2 Posted : 18 May 2014 21:24:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sounds good - I heard a whisper of this last month, be nice to see what Tamiya can do with it, I'm nearing the end of my Emhar 1/35 build now and reckon they are quite a nice kit but Tamiya should make some improvements.
Don't like the sound of it being motorised though, that will mean unrealistic tracks for a start. Id love to see one of these like the Academy kits with engine and full interiorDrool
Steve
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 18 May 2014 21:33:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Oooooh! This sounds good!

"I'd love to see one of these like the Academy kits with engine and full interior"

Oh! don't remind me!!Crying

Robin BigGrin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
stevie_o
#4 Posted : 19 May 2014 00:45:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Laugh Rather you than me with that interior Robin - Just noticed on Tony's post that there are a set of Brit figures coming too, I was just about to start painting my ICM figures but I may wait a bit for news of a releaseDrool
Steve
stevie_o
#5 Posted : 19 May 2014 00:55:36