Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How to build with cardboard (Page Two - The tools) Options
GluedFingers
#1 Posted : 22 May 2014 23:25:44

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all,

when you have finally decided on your model and you want to get ready to get it started, there are a few bits that you need to have.

The most obvious one is something to cut the card with.

For this you use a decent sized pair of scissors, a modelling knife with plenty of spare blades and a large hobby knife with snap off blades.

Personally I don't use the scissors and just use the knives, but there are plenty of builders that do so it's best to list it. A small(-ish) pair would be best, with the blades as thin as possible. The problem with scissors is that whilst cutting, it deforms the card and the thinner the blades, the less this will be a problem.

The smaller knife needs to be light, comfortable and sharp. VERY sharp. Hence the requirement of plenty of spare blades. This knife is used for the cutting of paper and single or double layer card. I personally prefer the triangular shaped blade as it does not obscure the card when you are cutting it and it allows you to swerve when cutting. But be aware that you will only be cutting with the tip of the blade, which will break off relatively easily, especially if cutting into a cutting mat and swerving at the same time. If the knife is sharp, it should be able to cut through a standard thickness card in one cut. If you find that you need two or more cuts to separate a part then it is time to change the blade.

However, once the tip breaks off, that blade will still be perfectly good to use for other modelling duties, like for instance cutting plastic parts off a sprue.

The larger knife is there for cutting heavier card or card made up of more than two layers. But because the control of the cut is not as good as with the smaller blade, it is better to cut the thick card not on the line but a few mm outside of it and then use the smaller craft knife to cut the shape precisely. Again, the cutting is mostly done with the tip so don't forget to snap off a section of the blade after a session of cutting heavy card to keep the blade sharp.

Some modellers use a steel ruler for straight, long cuts. I don't. BUT I still need the ruler for measuring, scoring and bending, so YOU will need to have one too!

A cutting mat is another required item. I would go for a double layered self healing one of at least the size of your model sheets, which will be mostly A4. However, going to the next size up allows you to move the sheet around easily whilst cutting so get at least an A3 sized one, I would say. Because card is relatively thin, any imperfection on the cutting mat, like a dried up blob of glue or a spill from a paint pot, will make precise cutting and scoring difficult so if you have a mat with 'marks' on it and it is double layered, just turn it over and use the underside. If you don't have a double layered one, then it might be time to get a new one. Wink

Another 'must' is a vision improving device. That could be as simple as a magnifier on a stand or as elaborate as a magnifying visor with headlight. Cardboard models can have loads of small parts and you need the extra help to be able to cut them properly but I even use my magnifier to help me to keep the long cuts straight.

You will also need loads of cocktail sticks for transfer of glue to the model, assising with positioning of the parts when glueing them or as paint transfer items if you need to put a little dot of paint on your model.
Also, especially if they have a little layer of rubber glue on the tip, a little lick with your tongue and your stick will pick up even the smallest of parts without fail!

The final essential tool is a device to score the card with where it needs to bend. Since you want to shape the card, not destroy it, it needs to have a smooth but thin section. I used a butter knife before but found that even that was cutting the top layer of the card, which split the top layer when bending. The back of the knife was too thick to get a precise score line so I changed it for an modelling awl. As long as I pull the awl tip over the card and not stab with it, I get a good scoring line, especially when I use it with my steel ruler.

A good 'tool' to have is a small lamp, with daylight bulb if possible. The daylight bulb creates as natural a light as possible, allowing for better colour definition on your model.

A few modelling files and drills can be handy, especially if you need to use thicker card.

And that is basically it.

Nothing really that would break the bank, which is good, because card modelloing isn't exactly the most expensive way to build a model either! BigGrin

Tomorrow I will add page three and start of the actual building actions hints and tips.

See you all later!

Adrie.

Addition: I fear I forgot a tool! Sad Blushing Sad Blushing

What you will also need is a pointed pair of tweezers! These are great for holding parts when you are edge-painting them or even to nudge parts into the right position when you glue them onto another part as well as pinch the glueing tab against the section it is to connect to to ensure a good contact! No matter how dexterous you are, you will find that your fingers are just too darn big to reach those difficult to reach places!

Sorry about that!

Sad Blushing Sad Blushing

Adrie.
'Where to glue or where not to glue, that is the question'

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
Built (and sunk): Too many to list
spikee
#2 Posted : 23 May 2014 10:07:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Adrie
Just wanted to say thank you for all the tips,as theres some great paper models out there but I am useless with paper modelling.
So any hints or tips are greatly apreciated.Looking forward to your next posts on the subject BigGrin
Jon
DJS
#3 Posted : 23 May 2014 11:22:29

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Two very informative, interesting and useful articles Adrie. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

Regards

Dave

GluedFingers
#4 Posted : 23 May 2014 17:30:58

Thanks, Jon and Dave! ThumpUpThumpUp

Your comments are much appreciated! And it was my pleasure!! BigGrin

SmileSmile

Adrie.

'Where to glue or where not to glue, that is the question'

Building: Hr. Ms. de Ruyter (card), Retourschip Batavia (Revell), HMS Surprise (De Agostini)
Built (and sunk): Too many to list