Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Dave's Senna Build Options
davidyat
#1 Posted : 18 June 2014 07:21:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Dave here. Signed up for the Senna build a week ago. Been building models since a kid in the 50's. Looking forward to my build, hoping to still learn something and maybe passing on some knowledge. I remember watching the 84 Monaco race, live, and wondered who this Senna kid was almost winning. I was an F 1 fan from the mid 60's on. When Senna died in 94, F 1 died for me then. I couldn't take the politics and the Schumacher show any more. Will do my best to keep up my build up to date when I start. Some of the things I like to do and haven't seen so far, I feel will give a more realistic look to models. Like making simple jigs to mount rubber tires on, mount them on a drill press and sand off the glaze to make them look like scuffed in. Always make the glue seams disappear. I will show you how to use Floquil paints (metal powder suspended in liquid) to make plastic look like metal. I did this on my build of Lauda's 1/12 scale Ferrari and did pretty good.
Tomick
#2 Posted : 18 June 2014 08:32:26

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace. Hope you enjoy your stay with us and look forward to seeing your build Cool
stevie_o
#3 Posted : 18 June 2014 09:56:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

karl1113
#4 Posted : 18 June 2014 14:01:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

same as steve,welcome on board,can't wait for the pics.Cool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
davidyat
#5 Posted : 19 June 2014 01:11:56

davidyat
#6 Posted : 19 June 2014 01:12:58

davidyat attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
davidyat
#7 Posted : 19 June 2014 01:24:29

One of these days I'll get it.
image.jpg
davidyat
#8 Posted : 19 June 2014 01:30:33

image.jpg
image.jpg
Gordy6541
#9 Posted : 20 June 2014 16:19:49

Welcome David.

I too look forward to seeing your mod tips.
Its always good to add detail.
I will start mine when I have most of the packs and intend to gather details parts on a regular basis.
Warthog
#10 Posted : 20 June 2014 22:41:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Some lovely kits David and the early F1 cars just look so much better than today's modern examples. Thank you for sharing.

As to your problem with the pictures, I'm afraid I've hit a stumbling block but was wondering if it might be something to do with the file extensions getting confused when uploading with the iPad. Are you resizing them in the iPad by any chance?

Regards

Spencer
davidyat
#11 Posted : 21 June 2014 02:49:33

I was visiting relatives in Colorado and only had my iPad. Now that I'm home I'll see if a hard wired PC to the net can make a difference. I just got my first delivery of my Senna. I must admit I'm rather spoiled as I have access to a machine shop with very good metal lathes and mills. I'm going to make my jigs for the tires so I can sand them down. Will post pix on possibly how you can do it.

Dave
Warthog
#12 Posted : 21 June 2014 10:09:24

Very jealous of you having access to a lathe! LOL I used to work for Martin Baker and worked on the Milling machines and lathes and if I had one now I would be making all sorts for this kit, pipe connections the lot. Look forward to seeing your results Dave. Cool

Spencer
davidyat
#13 Posted : 22 June 2014 04:49:29

Spencer,

Check out RB Motion on the web. The site is:

rbmotion.com

They mostly have machined parts for 1/18 and 1/12 scale racing models. I have asked them if they are planning on offering 1/8 machined parts possibly for the Senna Build. Still no answer. But I have seen machined valve stems for 1/8 scale tire rims. And they have a ton of anodized braided line fittings.

Dave
Warthog
#14 Posted : 22 June 2014 14:40:17

They have some nice parts Dave and would probably have to make a big order to make up for the import duties we incur from our good friends at the HMS customs Angry but that's not to say I won't one day order from them BigGrin

Spencer
davidyat
#15 Posted : 23 June 2014 21:52:53

Build Day 1

Before I set out for a little vacation in Indiana, decided to start playing around. Went to the machine shop and got to the lathe. I'm going to put 2 pictures of the shop I work in. If the same picture shows up twice, I'll just have to post one picture per reply to show you how I made a jig to sand off the mold mark and scuff in the first rear tire. It looks like until someone can show me how to put multiple pictures in one post, I'll have to post one picture per post. So here goes. First, the shop my bud owns, then the lathe, then found some scrap round aluminum and chucked it in the lathe, the finished jig, mounted the tire (with the mold mark and glaze) in the lathe, went up to 800 rpm and used 320 sandpaper to get rid of the mold mark and scuff up the surface without harming the Armourall looking side wall.

davidyat
#16 Posted : 23 June 2014 22:25:26

I'm a glutton for punishment. The camera chip just got wiped out by the computer and no pictures there.Mad Let's see if I can screw things up with the iPhone. Finding answers. I'm an old F#$%rt and the screen is very big so these tired eyes can see. Didn't see the UPLOAD button on the right. DUH!!!! I seem to see the files are uploaded. Let me know if you can open them.
Dave
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0562.JPG (2,674kb) downloaded 90 time(s).
IMG_0563.JPG (1,740kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
IMG_0564.JPG (2,315kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
Warthog
#17 Posted : 23 June 2014 22:34:49

Pics look great Dave Love You've done a great job on the tyres.. Sounds like you could do with some help with your computer though! Flapper

Might be a good idea to save the pictures from your camera to your computer before uploading as it is poosible you may have cut and paste the images resulting in there loss.

Spencer
davidyat
#18 Posted : 23 June 2014 22:40:41

Spencer,

Thanks for the advice. Yea, the computer is rather old and is starting hiccup and freeze. Looks like a new one is in order. Gads, I hate to move files from an old one to a new one. Hey, why don't I just get a new one for just this Senna build. By the way, when you opened my last post, were there pictures there or did you have to open the 3 files to view them? I'm going to try to post a picture on this post, THEN send it in.

Dave

P1010071.JPG
davidyat
#19 Posted : 23 June 2014 22:49:01

Yea, looks like I figured out how to do it. Put the pictures in first then post it. Don't post and attach later. Spencer, thanks for putting up with this old man Confused. Hey, you young pups, when I learned my arithmatic, IT WAS BEFORE CALCULATORS!!! I had to use a number 2 pencil and the yellow lined paper and if the answer was wrong, the Nuns could rap my knuckles with the ruler (my parents said it was OK) and I'm glad they did.
Warthog
#20 Posted : 23 June 2014 23:40:14

Haha your welcome and thats what we are all here for Dave, anything we can do to help.BigGrin
Your pictures came up as files as they are too large for the system, you could resize to 800x600 and then re-attach, then that should do it.

I would'nt worry too much Dave as you will find there are a lot more of us "Seasoned" buiders on here than there are "yound pups" at an alcopop convention LOL My parents got there first computer a year ago and my mother bless her still puts a sheet of A4 up against the screen to scan it!

Spencer