Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Clear coat help Options
sharkie15
#1 Posted : 28 June 2014 16:34:22

Groups:

HELP URGENT! I just applied clear coat to my tester rear wing and front wing. Looks great...but...can anybody lease help me. I have an avro lancaster aircraft and previously hand painted it but it didnt look to great so i filed it down with 600 and 800 grade sandpaper and used tamiya matt black spray on the bottom of the wing. It flaked almost immediately. I sanded it back down and tried another coat, flaked even worse almost on contact! Please help i want to scream=(
sharkie15 attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Warthog
#2 Posted : 28 June 2014 17:19:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Did you by any chance clear coat the original black? As this is common when applying paint over the top. It could also be reacting with the original paint used and the only way to get around it is to remove all traces of the black paint.

Regards

Spencer
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 28 June 2014 17:42:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

If you used the Tamiya spray can for the black it probably is a reaction between the lacquer paint and then paint left on the wing. The only solution would be to totally strip the wing, apply the appropriate Tamiya primer and then used the Tamiya spray can black over that.
Another alternative would be using acrylic primer and paint.

The Taimya spray cans are wonderful, but you will get terrible problems if you spray them over types of paint.
sharkie15
#4 Posted : 28 June 2014 18:09:49

Groups:

I never clear coated the original one and tried removing paint and noted that where there is no paint it leaves an even coat. This was my first run on tamiya spray paint so it was a valuable learning session and i am so so so greatful for the help, Warthog. Thank you soooo much! Will keep in touch about my Lanc and other builds and also start my build diary on RB7. The clear coat on my teat wings looks amazing!
sharkie15
#5 Posted : 28 June 2014 18:13:54

Groups:

Thanks for that Darbyvet. I suspected the primer that i couldnt but because i spent a good R680 on spray and needless to say i have zero allowance left for the month and i only have these 3 weeks off until its school and sport again so...yeah just trying to get my final touches done on all my warbirds or else im not allowed more shelves and new builds haha! Thanks guys. Blessings=)
sharkie15
#6 Posted : 28 June 2014 18:28:42

Groups:

Guys. Also just have one more question for the day. I have a 1:20 scale Mclaren Honda MP4/4. I went out and bought the flourecent red colour. Only when i came home i realised it was polycarbonate spray. Will this be fine and only go over with clear coat after or should i go back and get the TS paint?
Warthog
#7 Posted : 28 June 2014 18:43:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Your welcome BigGrin

I would get it changed Sharkie as The Polycarbonate spray is for RC clear bodies and may very well attack the plastic and ruin a very nice model.

Spencer