Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Unexpected surprise Options
sharkie15
#1 Posted : 11 July 2014 15:10:14

Groups:

Hey guys! Wow just found out something amazing about my family tree. I am South African, meaning it is very rare that we have heroes from the second world war. But i was surprised a few days ago when i was in my dad's storage space in the garage and came across a big green lockbox. After finding the key and opening it i discovered a bundle of service medals forth RAF. And what caught my eye was the Bomber Command emblem. My great uncle was an engineer in north africa! Wow..its one thing knowing Sailor Malan was the great South African Spitfire Ace...but knowing my great uncle served and even fought in North Africa...amazing=) i am guessing there are many of you guysfrom the US and UK have proud roots in the great wars
WildRover
#2 Posted : 11 July 2014 17:52:29

Groups: Registered

My Grandad was involved in Operation Market Garden: One of the paratroopers involved in the Battle of Arnhem (Made more memorable from the film: A bridge too far) - not that he ever really spoke about it, as my dad told me my grandad felt as though his youth had been stolen from him by the events of the war. My dad has a few medals, etc that he inherited when by grandfather died, but they are stored away to be passed thru the family.
Completed: Earth, Moon, Sun Orbiter
Build a Model Solar System

Under Constuction: HMB Endeavour
HMS Victory
Mitsubishi Zero
Tiger Tank
D51

Gandale
#3 Posted : 11 July 2014 23:11:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Sharkie, its amazing what you can find out when you delve into a family tree and with what you have just found out then you have every right to feel proud.... My dad was with the chindits in Burma, hence the emblem on my avatar..... Now coming on for 93 and am so proud of him....

Regards

Alan
sharkie15
#4 Posted : 12 July 2014 12:14:44

Groups:

wow...its amazing=) I know I cant really join my country's navy or miltary force. But i have always had the strong sense of duty. I am part of our National Sea Rescue Institute here. My wish is to oneday be part of the mountain rescue or fire fighter. Coast Guard will always remain the ultimate dream. It is a great honour knowing you guys=)