Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Warhorse Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 31 July 2014 01:15:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Many on this forum are commemorating the outbreak of WW1 in their own way, whether by their dio's as Plymouth (Robin) has so expertly shown, Jase with his new historical articles that I'm sure many will follow.. plus many other contributors too many to mention here..... The outbreak of WW1 is a period in history where many of us will commemorate, try to capture in their builds or simply reflect in their own way... The struggle of trench warfare to me was not only about the brave souls who blindly followed their commanders orders by simply going over the top, or by the designers/developers of that day, towards inspirational weapons design or weapons of mass destruction as portrayed through the use of chemicals, but also to the average farm horse purchased to use as work horses hauling supplies to the front line down to carrying their mounted warriors.... Saw this article that I thought some may find interesting......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zp6bjxs

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 31 July 2014 19:48:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Alan

Very interesting indeed and thanks for sharing.

It's a period of time that should never be forgotten but sadly appears to be - just look at the news today (NATO ill prepared if Russia invades a member country. In other stories more cruel wars ongoing than you can every believe).

When you mention the troops following the commanders instructions to the letter we all have to remember that some of those so called leaders were the ones waiting to shoot their own troops if they did not march forward into certain death.

We will all have our own views on the so called remembrance events. For me it's one of thinking what was the point. I really feel for some of the so sad stories I am reading and if I had any influence I would make sure that in any future war we send the idiot politicians, the aristocracy and any other idiot that puts us into these situations. Think they would eradicate war overnight.

I think as well we should all remember the loses on both sides in any war and while feelings can run strong for many years I think we have to consider all sides in any conflict because in most cases the poor soldier has no more desire to die whichever country they represent.

I have booked my self 2 days leave from work next week to support some of the local tributes that are underway here in swindon.

What used to be our Gwr rail works her in Swindon saw a great deal of the production being switched to war wares in both wars. The museum has a special exhibition during August so hoping they do justice to a very important time in history.

When you reflect on life I wonder if we would have so much trouble if everyone had a hobby? Maybe we need to free issue some deagostini kits to the leaders of the world - that should keep them occupied for a few years wondering what piece fits were, and what to do about something you have glued in the wrong place - they would have no time for warmongering then.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach