Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Poll Question : What RC experiencedo you have?
Choice Votes Statistics
A) I'm a pro. Got my next race soon. 0 0 %
B) Been RC fan for a while, got a few vehicles 5 41 %
C) Got one Nitro RC car 1 8 %
D) Electric RC all the way, got my car charging 0 0 %
E) Have had an RC toy before. Toy being the key. 0 0 %
F) Nothing, this Redbull is my baptism of RC Fire! 6 50 %

Nitro RC is not for sissies! Options
sparrowtwin
#1 Posted : 21 July 2014 22:15:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Okay, this Redbull RB7 build has got me so excited for RC and modeling that I've
Made a room in my garage just for this new hobby of mine.
Then looking and reading about RC I realized I know nothing about
RC never mind NITRO RC...Confused
So I went to my local hobby shop and by chance they had a used RC Nitro
Tamiya TNX 1/8 "buggy". Had been fixed and never collected for six months. Guy didnt
Pay for repairs (a new pull-start nitro engine was installed). So a got it complete.
Perfect condition.
Now the learning begins. For all of us on the build, if you don't know anything
About Nitro RC cars like I did, please do yourself a favor and by a used one to practice
on. The last thing you want to do is crash your new RB7 R14 000 car on your first go.
Aftermarket parts will be difficult to get.
I've made some big mistakes. (like burning out my clutch) Angry and flooding my engine.
I've been back to the hobby store 4 times already for help.
The owner, Tony, has been so friendly and helpful. Kept me going.

Here's what I've learnt in one month of having it...
What is a glow plug, what is a glow plug starter, what is a pull start motor, how
to flood an engine, how to unflood an engine,how to prime an engine,
how to replace the clutch, clean the clutch, how to get the transmission cog working,
how to set the shocks, how to tune and engine (still struggle with this, rich or lean),
how to start the car in the right way (breathe)...
What nitro to use, Stripping the car down, cleaning procedures, etc.
I feel like I know less now and my confidence got knocked.
I'm just glad I'm making my mistakes (and gaining experience) now and not with the RB7!
So take my advice, start practicing on a cheaper model now, not on the RB7.
By the way, the TNX is awesome and goes like a beast in the dirt!
What surprised me was how loud and fast the car is.
I am even more excited for the build. Come on!
Keen to hear your thoughts...
Life is precious...waste it wisely!
kenjara
#2 Posted : 22 July 2014 13:12:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is a good point as you really do not want to be using the RB7 as your first nitro vehicle. Breaking in a nitro vehicle for the first time can be extremely stressful and you will make some mistakes along the way.

Buying a cheap vehicle to get you started is a great idea. It helps if it is either new or serviced as an old car maybe hard to get going.

The key thing here is taking things slowly and patience. It may take a while to set the carb needles correctly and this is by far the hardest part.

I started with a Nitro Panda Stadium truck which was a good starter kit at the time. I would recommend a HPI or hyper 7 buggy for newcomers.

I currently have a hyper 7 black edition, two sledgehammer S50's and a tomahawk street car.

The engine on my panda stadium truck still runs fine and is very reliable unfortunately it needs a new differential and I can no longer get the parts.

I have never seen a Tamiya nitro vehicle where I shop only on ebay. Have you got a photo of it?
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
kenjara
#3 Posted : 05 August 2014 13:15:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I was just thought of another thing.

Glow plugs have a fair chance of dying during the break in process so its wise to have some spare so you don't have to pack away early on your vehicles first day out.

DarkKnight
#4 Posted : 05 August 2014 14:35:41

I have nitro R/C cars from 1/10 to 1/8 and have been doing it for the last 20 yrs and can strip/clean and put back together any R/C car,and I store all my R/C cars in my bedroom as well as my work station.

Most people find stripping R/C cars and cleaning them really hard but it isn't it's quite easy once you get started,and building a car like this will help you when you come to clean it.

I have never had a glow plug die on me during the break in of an engine,but it's wise to have a spare at hand just in case it does happen.

I have 2 Tamiya TGX cars from ebay,Kyosho inferno GT,Kyosho Inferno GT2,Kyosho GP Landmax,Hpi RS4 3 Evo,Hyper 7 Buggy which is still brand new never ran,Thunger Tiger RallyGame,Thunder Tiger EB4 S2 RallyGame and a HPI RS4 Super Nitro,Thunder Tiger TS-4N and soon 2 RB7's F1 Cars.

I also have a lot of Electric cars,
kenjara
#5 Posted : 11 August 2014 13:47:33

I have not had one go during break-in either but I keep seeing it mentioned in instructions and on forums so I thought I would mention it here.

Stripping down cars really does seem a chore but after taking them apart a few times you get really fast. I know its not nitro but I stripped my tt-01 down so much I could do a full chassis swap in under half an hour.

Engines add some complexity to this part and building the engine for the RB7 has really helped familiarise my self with the internal parts.

I need to strip my hyper 7 down and unseize the engine if possible as it drowned in a rather deep puddle.
I feel much more confident about doing this now.

Supaheli
#6 Posted : 11 August 2014 14:45:43

kenjara wrote:
I have not had one go during break-in either but I keep seeing it mentioned in instructions and on forums so I thought I would mention it here.

Stripping down cars really does seem a chore but after taking them apart a few times you get really fast. I know its not nitro but I stripped my tt-01 down so much I could do a full chassis swap in under half an hour.

Engines add some complexity to this part and building the engine for the RB7 has really helped familiarise my self with the internal parts.

I need to strip my hyper 7 down and unseize the engine if possible as it drowned in a rather deep puddle.
I feel much more confident about doing this now.
You have your work cut out for you to unseize a nitro engine...id take it all apart and soak in wd40 or after run oil...just hope there isnt any rust in it
Supaheli
AndreZS1AZ
#7 Posted : 12 August 2014 10:57:27

Dropped a nitro plane into a river. Pumped the water out, flooded it with fuel to get the moisture out, got the excess fuel out and it was up in the air within a 1/2 hour. I wonder why your one seized?
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop

Building: Bismark, 2.5m wingspan glider
kenjara
#8 Posted : 12 August 2014 13:09:03

It was quite a murky puddle and disappeared under water gurgling for a few seconds so its probably clogged up with mud. Hopefully if there is damage it will need a new piston liner at worst.

Not sure when I will get time to look at it though. Just caught up with my Red Bull tonight I plan to work on catching up with the Hummer build.

sparrowtwin
#9 Posted : 29 August 2014 13:49:47

BigGrin Sho, I drove my TNX straight into a tree at 60+km/h on the weekend.
Damaged the front prop shaft and broke the front right suspension, easliy replaced. Couldn't believe that's all the damage! I thought it was going to be a heap of junk. Hope I don't go tree eating with the RB7 (unlikely as I'll only be using it on tar/asphalt!)LOL
Life is precious...waste it wisely!