Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
Fujimi's 1/700 aircraft carier Akagi kit [full hull] Options
jase
#61 Posted : 03 February 2013 14:30:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Some loverly detail for the scale - -Looks good BigGrin Are you going to have a go at DeAgs biggy now?Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#62 Posted : 03 February 2013 14:47:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Jase
Thanks for looking in and im already building the biggyBlink , I got the kit to help with some descripancys on the biggy, some very small parts included in the kit and the etch flight deck certainly made a difference I think.
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#63 Posted : 03 February 2013 17:02:32

BigGrin Hi All
well here she is after a little dirtying up although I might have overdone it a bitBlink .I didn't use the Japanese flag provided as its a decal and they just disintegrate over time as for the full hull that was also discarded as its a universal hull for all of Fujimi's 1/700 scale kits and therefore is lacking the armour plate detail below the water line.
My overall view on the kit is that its full of detail lots of very small parts that builds into a very good replica of the full size ship, although I did use some etch enhancements like the deck and bridge but the majority of the parts used are from the kit. Unfortunatly I just cant make a decent job on the aircraft provided [too small for these old eyes even using an optivisorCrying ]which is a pity but she is sailing along after all her aircraft were sent on the pearl harbour attack and her other aircraft providing air cover well that's my excuseFlapper BigGrin.As always all questions/comments are welcome
regards
AndyCool

PS I also need to give her a coat of matt varnish as the so called matt I have is more of a satin coat any recommendations for a good matt varnish would be appreciated.
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P2030632.JPG
P2030633.JPG
P2030634.JPG
P2030635.JPG
P2030636.JPG
P2030637.JPG
P2030638.JPG
P2030641.JPG
P2030642.JPG
P2030643.JPG
P2030644.JPG
P2030645.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ian smith
#64 Posted : 22 August 2014 13:26:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy.
Great build the etch finishes the flight deck off nicely. IanCool Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#65 Posted : 22 August 2014 18:25:34

BigGrin Hi Ian
Thanks for looking in and your comments
Regards
AndyCool

Ponty
#66 Posted : 22 August 2014 21:06:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy,
The build looks wonderful.
I can relate to small parts and bad eyes!
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
IronWarrior
#67 Posted : 24 August 2014 12:10:14

Hi arpurchase, really glad I found this forum and this post. I have to thank you because am new to modelling ships and this topic will help me a lot.. I have done Games Workshop stuff before but ships are new to me.

I just brought this same model as well as a few others of her sisters and would like to ask you, what paints and sprays did you use for her? Also where did you buy the echting deck and tower from? :D

Very nice build though, I be fellowing your photos very closely when it comes to building my own, but if I do say so, I do think you might have weathered her a little too much or it could be the photos. Blushing
arpurchase
#68 Posted : 24 August 2014 12:49:23

BigGrin Hi IronWarrior
Thanks for looking in and your comments and yes in hind sight i would now do the weathering differently and have fun building your new fleet.
The paints i used were all Tamiya's colours 'Kure grey' mostly and linolium colour for the brown on the decks, they do a good range of IJN colours including aircraft colours.
The etch set for the deck and bridge was ordered off E-Bay, i have included the links to these items but im not sure if they are still available but good luck in getting them.

Flight deck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item27e79acda8

Bridge set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item19d410355b

Hope this helps

Regards

AndyCool

IronWarrior
#69 Posted : 24 August 2014 17:34:07

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi IronWarrior
Thanks for looking in and your comments and yes in hind sight i would now do the weathering differently and have fun building your new fleet.
The paints i used were all Tamiya's colours 'Kure grey' mostly and linolium colour for the brown on the decks, they do a good range of IJN colours including aircraft colours.
The etch set for the deck and bridge was ordered off E-Bay, i have included the links to these items but im not sure if they are still available but good luck in getting them.

[SPOILER] Flight deck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item27e79acda8

Bridge set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item19d410355b[/SPOILER]

Hope this helps

Regards

AndyCool

Thank you for the links. :) Are the prices shown there the going rate for these parts?

Back to paints, isn't there any other colours used for details for like ladders, doors, windows, things like that or is it all really just one colour?
arpurchase
#70 Posted : 24 August 2014 18:25:41

BigGrin Hi IronWarrior
The prices are as advertised on the sites, you may get it slightly cheaper if you search around.
As for detailing you could try a burnt umber wash or any of the AK Interactive sets that are designed for ship weathering like the example below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item4ad9930201

Regards

AndyCool

IronWarrior
#71 Posted : 29 August 2014 18:32:53

Thanks again Andy.

Got a other question for you, did you use any sanding sheets or sponges for the model and if so what grade?