Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stage 29 Handle Options
Yatto
#1 Posted : 07 June 2014 11:17:44

Groups: Registered

Hi again Everyone! :)
Dave from Oz here.
Has anyone had problems with the handle and lock?
I have followed the instructions with screwing the lever onto the handle.
The handle seems to be very loose in the hole in the smokebox. Not sure if that's how it should be.
The lock itself seems a little small (in length) for the large gap in the locking bar.
I assume that as you wind the lever, the tip of the handle moves inward with the lock to work?
Also, I am not having much success using Araldite (epoxy resin)for gluing the lock onto the tip of the handle. I have also tried Super Glue gel.
Can anyone please offer suggestions?
Thanks
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 07 June 2014 12:15:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dave
The locking bar floats about a bit I agree but what you need to ensure is that the bar at the back is turned at 90 degree's to the slot and then it should all tighten up nicely.
As for Araldite I personally wouldnt use it you would be better off with a good modeling epoxy, [ Link Below to give you an idea ].
Another thing to remember is that all the epoxy glue must be removed from the joint because Super glue will not stick to epoxy, once the joint is clean super glue will do fine. Hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item3f2522ea56

Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yatto
#3 Posted : 07 June 2014 12:41:29

Hi Andy :)
Thanks for the info.
I appreciate your help.
I will buy some better epoxy.
I have cleaned off the epoxy so I will use supa glue.
Is the gel as good as the liquid, do you think?
Regards
Dave
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 07 June 2014 12:48:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dave
I generally use a medium super glue but the gel is better for gap filling, Just make sure all the epoxy is removed from inside the hole in the handle aswell.
Regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yatto
#5 Posted : 07 June 2014 14:09:16

Hi again Andy :)
Thanks again mate!
Regards
Dave
brian w
#6 Posted : 10 September 2014 12:07:31

Hi all,
After using epoxy and super glue to secure lock, the lock still kept coming apart if handle overtightened.
I have cured the problem using a 25w soldering iron. Now secure.