Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Going to start my build.....are the F'Artefice Decals that much better? Options
f13dfx
#1 Posted : 10 October 2014 04:52:17

Red Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I'm on vacation Nov.6-22. I would like to just build the standard model as it is. Not that concerned about accuracy of decals to the real thing, but just want to make it neat & tidy without adding any extra detailing.

Are the supplied decals good enough? And are the MicroScale Micro Sol & Set solutions the best for use in applying the decals?

I haven't built a model for about 20 years. I was a Gilles Villeneuve diehard & built all his cars in 1/12 scale (Protar & Tamiya). Actually detailed them beyond the standard kits. Basically stopped when my kids were born.

But the Bug bit me when I had an opportunity to buy all the issues of the MP4-23 from a guy in the UK. I have since also purchased the MFH 1/12 Ferrari 126c2 Long Beach GP 1982 kit with the illegal double-wing. I almost scratchbuilt this wing a few years back for the Protar model but got lazy :)

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
Warthog
#2 Posted : 10 October 2014 08:41:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

The supplied decals are very good quality indeed and as far as accuracy I'm pretty sure being an official McLaren product they are as good as your going to get. I have used other decals and apart from getting the "Johny Walker" logos there's not a great amount of difference to the ones that you get supplied with for what you want to achieve. There are additional Helmet and tyre decals to name a few with the F'Artifice ones if you want to go to town on it.
Good luck with your build and feel free to post up any progress once you get going in the members MP4/23 build diarys.

Spencer
davetwin
#3 Posted : 10 October 2014 11:55:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

f13dfx wrote:
I'm on vacation Nov.6-22. I would like to just build the standard model as it is. Not that concerned about accuracy of decals to the real thing, but just want to make it neat & tidy without adding any extra detailing.

Are the supplied decals good enough? And are the MicroScale Micro Sol & Set solutions the best for use in applying the decals?

I haven't built a model for about 20 years. I was a Gilles Villeneuve diehard & built all his cars in 1/12 scale (Protar & Tamiya). Actually detailed them beyond the standard kits. Basically stopped when my kids were born.

But the Bug bit me when I had an opportunity to buy all the issues of the MP4-23 from a guy in the UK. I have since also purchased the MFH 1/12 Ferrari 126c2 Long Beach GP 1982 kit with the illegal double-wing. I almost scratchbuilt this wing a few years back for the Protar model but got lazy :)

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

I can not comment if the Microsol & set solutions are the best as they are the only ones I have used, I will say that they are very good though.

If you look at post 117 here you will see the declas I have applied with Micro set & sol, albeit thesy ae were Tamiya decals.

You just apply a small amount of Microset solution to where your decal goes, slide the decal in place and then gently use a Q-tip to soak up any excess. Then using a paint brush apply the microsol on top to dissolve the carrier film.

Once applied you need to leave it alone as it will soften the decal and if you touch it you coul ruin it
f13dfx
#4 Posted : 12 October 2014 01:34:41

Red Medal: Red Medal

davetwin:

Thanks for the application tips on the MicroSet & Sol solutions. I didn't know the part about using the Microsol solution to remove the Microset solution by using a brush. It was 25+ years ago when I last used these solutions & I thought they were very aggressive on my decals, but of course I didn't really know how to use them properly.