Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Thinking about this (along with zero): quality issues? Options
Apoll
#1 Posted : 22 March 2014 10:55:41

Groups:

Hello. Along with the zero, am thinking about the Akagi. The zero is amazing from what I can see, but doing my due diligence of the Akagi model, I wonder about the overall quality of it. It seems some of the parts are not as finely crafted as they could be (of course, IMHO)...the range finders, for example, seem just a bit crude comparing it to plastic. Just from what I can see, you understand. I also wonder about using wood to depict what was a steel ship; I'm sure wood works perfectly for sailing ships, which were actually wood, but to use it for metal...the hull, for example, is made from sculptured wood, not metal. Hmmmm. For the money being asked for the kit, I wonder.... Those who have it, do I have the wrong end of the stick? Grateful views on these concerns. (I really want to like this kit). Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Apoll

arpurchase
#2 Posted : 22 March 2014 12:25:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Apoll
I have been building this kit for a while now but have given it a rest whilst I decided what I was going to do with the flight deck its now resolved and back on course.
Firstly the parts are a good renditions for the scale and many modellers enhance these parts ,also there is nothing to stop you making your own if you wish to improve them.
The question about wood being used for hulls of metal or older ships is a question of what is practible to get a good rendition of the hull shape . Trying to render a hull in metal would be a task of monumental problems and without the correct tools, bending presses ect and the cost of these tools would far outwiegh the cost of the ship being built.
So its a half way house really using wood allows the correct curves to be reproduced and a good hull shape can be achieved. Modellers have been known to add precut plates to wooden hulls to represent the plating also this can be reproduced using painting techniques all of these methods can be found by searching the web for examples.
Finally have a look at my build diary's of the Yamato and Akagi these should give you a good idea of the results achievable using wood

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=2756

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=2902

Hope this has been of help
Regards
AndyCool

Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Apoll
#3 Posted : 22 March 2014 22:49:31

Groups:

Andy, thanks very much for advice; helps very much. I guess the wood thing says more about my own lack of skill working with wood than it does the material used. I guess the paint will give it that metallic look? Are there any after market detail kits in the 1/250 scale that you know of? If there were, that would swing it for me... I wonder if 3D printing wold be a solution? Can you comment in whether that would be an option? Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Apoll BigGrin
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 22 March 2014 23:37:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Apoll
Unfortunatly there is little in the way of after market stuff for the Akagi the only thing I found was a set of railings but the kit ones are more than adequate to do the job. Enhancments of your own making is the only way to go with this so 3D printing or casting parts from resin are options to be considered.
On another note Gold Medal Etch do a great set for the Yamato but be warned its not a cheap option to go for but having used it I would recomend it
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Yutaro HONMA
#5 Posted : 24 March 2014 06:21:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Apoll!
Thank you for selecting Imperial Japanese Naval warship.

In Japan, a lot of people built the Akagi. Some of them were not satisfied with the kits and tried the enhancements through trial and error. They think a kit is a raw material.

For exsample, I wrote about my method for hull process.

I used plastic tapes, since its surface is smoother than wood's planks.(No.1)

Metal (such as copper or aluminium) tapes would be applicable. 6mm width tape was cut in length 20mm.(No.2)

Heads of rivets were carved on the tapes' surfaces by using roulette, and I attached such tapes on the hull.(No.3,4)

At this stage, my friend advised me that rivet's heads were not needed, and showed me a picture of the Akagi.(No.5)

I only attached normal tapes. I posted several photos of my Akagi's hull. Smooth surface and narrow boundary lines are seen, (No.6-9)

Some people dare to carve the rivet's heads. I feel the power of mighty warships from such person's models.(No.10: This is a DeAGOSTINI Yamato that was built by the friends of mine)

Since English is not my native language, I might misunderstand your question. If so, please forget this post.

Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
No_1.jpg
No_2.jpg
No_3.jpg
No_4.jpg
No_5.jpg
No_6.jpg
No_7.jpg
No_8.jpg
No_9.jpg
No_10.jpg
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
Apoll
#6 Posted : 24 March 2014 09:03:54

Groups:

Honma san, thank you very much for this. I was very interested to see your pictures and to see that people are adding much to this kit to make it more realistic. I was especially interested to see the imaginative way people are making the surface more realistic. Good idea using tapes for the hull. What do you do about fixing the anti-aircraft guns and the other pieces of equipment? They seem crudely moulded and not very detailed. Are there no after market detail kits in 1/250 scale available, even in Japan? Arigato gozaimashu.

Apoll
Yutaro HONMA
#7 Posted : 25 March 2014 01:18:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Apoll!

I am very glad to read your reply. It is very fun for me to make the model be realistic. You are asking about fixing the anti-aircraft guns. I recommend you to see my making logs of the Akagi.

"www" button under my signature is linked to a index page of my Akagi's logs. Although my logs were written in Japanese, the index page is written in English.

For example, I guess photos of fixing the guns were on the 9th section of 6th log or 9th of 5th. Such photos are our mutual communication method I think.

If you have questions, please send me them.

Best Regards,
Yutaro

Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
trm3
#8 Posted : 01 October 2014 02:22:20

BigGrin Hello Yutaro-

I've been reading your forum posts about the IJN Akagi with great interest. You, my friend, have many great ideas that improves the realism and quality of the build-up.

On my kit I have added remote control for propeller thrust and rudder control along with running lights, bilge pumps, radar antenna movement and some gun rotations. I would really like to include your idea of crafting operating elevators. Any information about how you did it (build diary?), pictures and/or video would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I would also be interested in your method for lighting the LSO lights.

Thanks-

Ted
Yutaro HONMA
#9 Posted : 09 October 2014 00:49:13

Hi Ted!
Thank you for a comment and some questions about my Akagi model. I'm sorry to reply too late.
I'll send some pictures of my lift model in the near future. You may know that I build 1/144 Akagi cut model at this time. I am making bigger lift for this model. I think the pictures of this bigger lift are more suitable for your perpose.
LSO lights are very simple. I just used the smallest LEDs and general wire-less electro magnetic relays for cars.
Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA
#10 Posted : 14 October 2014 04:33:32

Hi Ted!

I attached some photos and schemes of my elevators.

A principle is to pull up or down simultaneously four strings that are fixed on 4 corners of the floor.

All the strings are fixed on the shaft through pulleys. The location of pulleys, strings and shaft is illustrated on the schemes attached.

Photos of real my elevator are also attached below.

Two weights which can be gone up and down smoothly are required, otherwise strings would become loose and errors also would arise.

Gesr and motor are commercial products. I used TAMIYA's gear box kit、"70103 UNIVERSAL GEARBOX".

http://www.tamiya.com/ja...cts/70103_universal.htm

For the safety of the machine, sensor switches of upper and lower limits of the weight are installed.

If the weight touches the switch, electric supply for the motor is immediately cut.

A circuit for this elevator is indicated as the last attached picture.

Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
pic5.jpg
NO1.JPG
No2.JPG
No3.JPG
No4.JPG
No5.JPG
No6.JPG
No7.JPG
No8.JPG
pic6.jpg