Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Endeavour Longboat Options
catman275
#1 Posted : 20 August 2010 18:30:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all,
I have just finished my Endeavour Longboat and thought I would post some pictures of my first effort.
I am quite pleased with it although I can see several places which could do with improving.
One problem is the rudder which drops down below the keel, but the slots in it are level with the sternpost, which in turn, leaves the Tiller too low and drops into the rudder stems.
I consider this a fault in the design although the pictures in the instruction show it lined up slots and level with the keel.
I may rework this later.

The mast and boom material was supplied in 3mm thickness instead of 4mm.
I just bought some 4 mm dowel from my local supplier and stained it.

The rigging instructions were lacking as mentioned in an earlier thread.
I used the pictures on the DeAG page enlarged to see clearly for part of the rigging and very close study (and a magnifying glass) in the manual for the rest of it.

I was short changed with the amount of thread supplied, so it was fortunate that I did not make up the coils of rope as earlier instructed.
As it was I had to use some black thread I had at home for the anchor and some of the rigging.
All in all I enjoyed building this model and hope to embark on a more complex model later.
In the meantime I think I may scan and enlarge the plans of the parts say 50% and just attempt to cut/shape and build a bigger hull.
That should keep me quiet until next year.
Best wishes all
File Attachment(s):
5.jpg (286kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
2.jpg (292kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
1.jpg (294kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
catman275 attached the following image(s):
12.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

dtgray
#2 Posted : 20 August 2010 20:21:35

Very nice build catman, well done BigGrin Cool
Regards,

David

snowtiger
#3 Posted : 21 August 2010 11:58:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Top notch work there catman......a model to be proud of..BigGrin BigGrin
magpie1832
#4 Posted : 21 August 2010 12:15:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Quote:
The rigging instructions were lacking as mentioned in an earlier thread.
I used the pictures on the DeAG page enlarged to see clearly for part of the rigging and very close study (and a magnifying glass) in the manual for the rest of it.

Welcome to the world of artesania latina...LOL LOL

Your Build is very good m8. Well done on decifering the rigging instructions, I'm still working out the San Francisco 2 rigging plan.BigGrin

Only one comment though, When you do the rigging use a block of beeswax rubbed along the thread to get rid of the fluffiness of the thread. Other that that congratsBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

catman275
#5 Posted : 21 August 2010 20:34:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi crew,
Thanks for the comments.
I can see there a lot of little tips and tricks to learn in this hobby.
Just out of a matter of interest there were a total of 15 blocks used in the rigging of this build.
How many blocks on the Victory?Scared Scared Have you a parts list yet?

happy planking catman
completed..... Endeavour Longboat, San Francisco 2, Virginia 1819

building Royal Caroline

magpie1832
#6 Posted : 21 August 2010 20:56:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I'm doing the hms surprise aswell which is a little bigger and on that one there are 445 small blocks,240 clump blocks plus more other blocks...
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

lee.takel
#7 Posted : 21 August 2010 21:21:28

Thanks for the beeswax tip magpie. Is it best to use this on all cordage ie the ropes for the anchor as well
karl1113
#8 Posted : 21 August 2010 21:42:19

well done lee,nice model,the fluffiness on the cordage (all)can be pulled through a block of beeswax,victory has approx 1000 assorted blocks if you include the 5 boats on board. if all the guns were rigged as well well 104 cannons ????? i give up.
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/