Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

alternative degreaser Options
mark 2
#1 Posted : 16 November 2014 13:38:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Everyone BigGrin .
Mr T wrote in the official build diary of the D51,Of using isopropanol Prior to assembly to degrease the white metal parts.
What i would like to find out is could i use vinegar instead of isopropanol to degrease the white metal.
Thanks and best regards to all.
Mark
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 16 November 2014 13:47:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Mark

I regulary use white vinegar to degrease etch parts so I cant see it not working on the white metal parts too, try a test piece first though.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

mark 2
#3 Posted : 16 November 2014 16:02:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Andy BigGrin .
Thanks for your reply also What is your method of operation.
Do you leave them in the vinegar for say 5 or 10 mins and then wash the parts in water.
Thanks for your help and best regards.
Mark
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 16 November 2014 17:04:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Mark

The first thing you need is a dish or bowl big enough for the etch then add the vinegar , place the etch in the vinegar and move it about then leave for about 5-10 minutes. Then just wash gently in warm soapy water and leave to dry on a paper towel. That's my way of doing it and im sure others will have there methods too.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .