Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Yamato Mast Construction Options
dbartonjr
#1 Posted : 18 August 2014 13:45:20

Groups: Registered

Andy, I am looking at your mast construction, very impressive, and I have a quick question. How did you attach the connectors between the masts? Did you use solder or glue and how did you connect the three pieces together? I have bent two pieces in what I think are the correct dimensions, but I am having difficulty in figuring the best way to connect them together. Thanks for all your previous help and I look forward to your response.

Dan

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 18 August 2014 18:54:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dan

For the mast i used brass tube and rod from a model shop the tube is the type that you can slide into each other.
The bottom three legs were made from 3 mm brass tube and the single forward mast was made from 2 mm brass tube the two mast arms behind were made from brass rod as was all the cross members. If you put a 2 mm collet in the top of the 3 mm tube the brass rod fits smoothly into the 2 mm tube. Make sure the three lower rods are set in position befor adding any of the top peices.The cross member sizes were taken directly from the metal frame provided and used to get the correct profile.
As for the angles i used the same angle for the rear masts as was provided by the wire mast, the forward mast was then bent to accomodate the cross members . Some artistic license was also used in the construction for example if it looks right using the Skulski book and pics then its fine.
I was going to solder it all together but in the end used super glue to affix all in place. Hope this helps

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

dbartonjr
#3 Posted : 08 November 2014 18:50:22

Andy,

Thanks for all your tips, they have really helped me. I am sorry to say I could use another tip. I have got the rods for the back masts bent properly at least according to my eye-balls and protractor, now I am trying to figure out how to solder or glue the connecting rods (at least that is what I call them). While the fit nicely into the 3mm base tubes at the base of the structure the fit is a bit loose so they 'spin' rather than stay stable. I am wondering if you simply laid them on a flat surface and glued them to the side of the mast? If this is what you did how were the two mast positioned so that they would fit back into the brass tubes without breaking the glue joint? Did you glue the rods into the brass tubes so they would not spin? Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. I really want to try this but I am getting a bit frustrated. I have enclosed two photos that show one of my issues.

Thanks again,
Dan
File Attachment(s):
IMG_1491.JPG (1,547kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
IMG_1492.JPG (1,523kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 08 November 2014 19:33:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Dave

What i did was bend the tubes as you have done to get the angles right, next you will need to stabalise it all by fixing the bottom three large tubes together. When you do this you can remove the upper outer two rods to prevent them sticking together, to do this i first used superglue to fix them then a piece of very thin metal strip to go around the joint to tidy it up, the searchlight platform goes on top of this strip.
Next replace the two outer rods if they were removed and prepare to add the first spreader rod, this will be the longest rod taken from the the preformed mast that came with the kit that goes across the top to each rear mast glue this in position with super glue. This will give you the correct spread and width for the rear two masts. Now these need to be attached to the central forward mast, this is done by again taking the longest upper rods and fixing them in position.
Once these three rods are correctly located it will stiffen up the whole structure then you can line up the whole upper structure with the base and glue together when your happy with it. Its then a simple case of adding the remaining rods to finish the structure, to do this just take the measurements off the wire one supplied, Im not the best at explaining things so please ask if there's anything that is not clear and hopefully the above will get you on your way.

Regards

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

dbartonjr
#5 Posted : 08 November 2014 23:00:20

Andy,

I think I understand what you said I just have one further question. Did you build the long spreader rod from scratch, this is what the pictures look like or did you cut it out from the original part and use that? FYI, I have the same problem clearly explaining things which is why I probably understand what you said. Thanks again, Dan

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 08 November 2014 23:03:47

BigGrin Hi Dave

The majority i cut from the original part but some were trimmed off the legs of the same part and np just glad your making sense out of my ramblings lol

Regards

AndyCool

dbartonjr
#7 Posted : 03 December 2014 18:31:29

Andy,

One more quick question, you mention a 2mm collet in your response of 18 August, too much travel to work on the boat recently BigGrin. Where did you purchase it or do you know where I could find it. I have been looking on the net and cannot find anything that looks suitable.

Thanks,

Dan

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 03 December 2014 20:49:17

BigGrin Hi Dave

The collett would have been better described as a brass insert about 4/5 mm long and glued in place inside the 3 mm tube. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Regards

AndyCool

dbartonjr
#9 Posted : 04 December 2014 15:12:45

Thanks, you don't have any you want to sell?BigGrin Do you know where I can get some I have been searching the web but no joy yet.

Thanks,
Dan

dbartonjr
#10 Posted : 04 December 2014 15:32:12

Thinking about your description I think I can use porthole inserts, what do you think?

Dan

arpurchase
#11 Posted : 04 December 2014 21:57:26

BigGrin Hi Dave

I think that would work very well

AndyCool