Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

73rd anniversary of the attack at Pearl Harbor Options
Ponty
#1 Posted : 07 December 2014 16:46:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Today marks the 73rd anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor and the subsequent declaration of war against Japan.
President Roosevelt said in a speech to Congress that "December 7th, 1941, a date that will live in infamy"

I'm sad to say that I've heard nothing on the anniversary today from my local news, and only the History Channel has broadcasted two programs this morning.

Back in 2004, I was fortunate to visit Pearl Harbor,the Arizona Memorial, and the Pacific Submarine Memorial. My Uncle Arthur died aboard the USS Dorado in 1943 on his way to fight in the Pacific Campaign.

Well, on this day, I remember, and want to pay my respect to the more than 2,500 lives lost that day.
May they rest in peace.

Barry
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 07 December 2014 17:43:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

We should never forget any service men who fell to give us our freedom.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#3 Posted : 07 December 2014 18:57:02

Groups:

Totally agree with both your sentiments Barry and Andy. ThumpUp

I would guess Barry, that the reason it is not being trumpeted so loudly on the 73rd anniversary as one would expect, is because these sorts of things are usually celebrated more publicly when they fall on a more rounded year, such as the 10th, 25th, 50th, 60th and in two years time, the 75th anniversary? I'm not sure if you have a different way of doing things in the United States to what we do here in the United Kingdom, but maybe that is it, as a 73rd anniversary would normally go relatively unannounced over here?

Of course we should always celebrate our heroes, whatever the year may be, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at?

What a great day you must have had when you went to Pearl Harbour yourself, though I would imagine a quite emotional one?

Such great guys, one and all!! ThumpUp Crying Sad

Kev BigGrin
Ponty
#4 Posted : 07 December 2014 22:02:39

Hi Kev,
I agree with what your saying. I wasn't expecting any large pomp and circumstance as it is the 73rd, but to have no announcement on the news is inexcusable. Locally we still talk of the Blizzard of 1978 like it was yesterday.

It just would have been nice to have some announcement. I mean today in the US, it is in fact Pearl Harbor Day.
I don't want to take anything away from our Vets(yours and mine) so I won't rant on Batbouta this.

Kev, visiting Pearl Harbor was an unbelievable experience for me. Where it got emotional was when we visited the Submarine Memorial next to Pearl Harbor. My Uncle's name is inscribed on that memorial. Even though I never knew him, my grandmother talked of him constantly.

Best, Barry
Building - DeAgostini HMS Victory, McLaren MP4-23, Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, Lamborghini Countach
ModelMania
#5 Posted : 08 December 2014 11:18:19

Groups:

Hello Barry,

Yeah, I totally get where you're coming from.

I guess it's more difficult for people like us, who are more knowledgeable of the important dates and anniversaries from our military history, to accept that certain dates aren't celebrated every year as they ought to be, than the general member of the public who normally doesn't think about such things unless they are placed in front of them on the television or in the press?

As long as the guys who gave their lives are never forgotten then they will live on forever and given the fact that there are millions of people worldwide who are interested in military history who are very likely to be thinking about them on the actual anniversaries, then they simply cannot ever be forgotten, EVER, even if the general public doesn't remember them in the way that they should?

They are our heroes and they are always remembered, regardless of how many years go by.

I know that the USS Arizona is still lying where she sank in Pearl Harbour, but can you tell me, when you visited the memorial site was there still signs of oil from the ship rising to the surface of the water? I saw a TV programme a few years ago that stated it is still leaking oil after all these years?

All the best,

Kev BigGrin
Ponty
#6 Posted : 08 December 2014 14:09:25

when I was there in 2004 the USS Arizona was still leaking oil. The leaking oil is referred to as the tears of the sailors that went down with her. in all my years, I've never visited a memorial where no one spoke. the respect that the tourists gave that site was impressive. the only other place that was that somber and peaceful for me was Arlington National cemetery in Washington DC. my hope is that one day I'll get to visit some memorials in Europe.

Last spring my daughter spent 8 weeks in Switzerland for school and I suggested she visit a concentration camp when she visited Germany. the photos she took there were impressive. I'm glad she did as she isn't into history that much, and I wanted her to see that. I'm glad that She took away the feelings that I was hoping for.
ModelMania
#7 Posted : 08 December 2014 15:15:58

Groups:

Hello Barry,

Yes, I'd like to visit some of the European memorials and battle sites at some point, especially places like Remagen, where the Allies took the bridge when they finally broke through into Germany after crossing the Rhine. I'd also like to visit the Ardennes forest in winter to get a feel of what it was like during the 'Battle of the Bulge' in the winter of 1944. The Ruhr Dams would be another, where the 'Dambusters' raids took place?

Great that your daughter got to see the Nazi Concentration Camps, simply because it undoubtedly showed her the true meaning of what it is to be human and the terrible tragedies that can occur when mankind allows such monsters as Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler and the like to freely exercise their evil will? That's another place I'd like to see and no doubt it would be like your sombre visits to Pearl Harbour. I can't imagine that a single word is spoken by visitors to places like Dachau, Belsen and Auschwitz, though a lot of tears are likely to be shed - so sad!!

Kev BigGrin