Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Aligning Ribs with deck edges Options
Mike Turpin
#1 Posted : 21 August 2010 00:51:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month
Groups: Registered

I have just started to look at issue 16 and starting on the hull. I have made my jig to line up the keel sections. When I dry fit the ribs and then fit in the front deck sections 7b, I notice that the outside edges of the ribs do not seem to coincide too well with the deck edges. In particular rib 15 seems to be proud of the deck i.e slightly too wide at that point and others don't seem quite wide enough, particularly rib 18.

Will we be trimming the deck edges as well as fairing the ribs when we prepare for the planking or are the parts apparently a poor fit?

Or am I worrying un-necessarily?

Mike T
thomasmoult
#2 Posted : 21 August 2010 01:17:55

Hi Mike,

I have had the same problem; been fairing the hull all week in the morning before work and have had plenty of time to think about it. Most of mine jut out too far, which is easily solved by sanding down, however some of them are not flush with the ribs; I think I will fill these out with a strip of wood so the planks will have something to adhere to.

I've noticed also and meant to ask on here if anyone else has had the same issue; the rib without the 'ribs' (?) if that makes sense that sits at the stern (its sort of a flat bit that slotted into the hull but didnt have any ribs on it, sorry dont know the part number off-hand) protrudes a fair way out from the rest of the hull and will require a lot of attention - have you had this problem also?

Best wishes,
Tom
CMB
#3 Posted : 21 August 2010 01:55:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

thomasmoult wrote:
Hi Mike,

I have had the same problem; been fairing the hull all week in the morning before work and have had plenty of time to think about it. Most of mine jut out too far, which is easily solved by sanding down, however some of them are not flush with the ribs; I think I will fill these out with a strip of wood so the planks will have something to adhere to.

I've noticed also and meant to ask on here if anyone else has had the same issue; the rib without the 'ribs' (?) if that makes sense that sits at the stern (its sort of a flat bit that slotted into the hull but didnt have any ribs on it, sorry dont know the part number off-hand) protrudes a fair way out from the rest of the hull and will require a lot of attention - have you had this problem also?

Best wishes,
Tom

Hi,
I think you are refering to the plain rear rip that has notches along the top edge.
This is fitted later on in the build together with an additional two stern pieces.
They all protrude beyond the false keel at the bottom and require shaping, this is covered in some detail in issues 18/19.
Hope this is of some help.
CMB
jonny7england
#4 Posted : 21 August 2010 10:23:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mike, I concur mate, rib 15 is standing well proud of the rest, I think that Tomick mentioned it as well, or maybe I am having another one of my senior moments LOL , but perhaps we can get more input concerning rib 15...as I do not want to go carving off great chunks then find out that there is a reason for the difference in diameter to the rest...Blink Confused
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Mike Turpin
#5 Posted : 21 August 2010 10:25:38

Mike Turpin wrote:
I have just started to look at issue 16 and starting on the hull. I have made my jig to line up the keel sections. When I dry fit the ribs and then fit in the front deck sections 7b, I notice that the outside edges of the ribs do not seem to coincide too well with the deck edges. In particular rib 15 seems to be proud of the deck i.e slightly too wide at that point and others don't seem quite wide enough, particularly rib 18.

Will we be trimming the deck edges as well as fairing the ribs when we prepare for the planking or are the parts apparently a poor fit?

Mike T

I think I may have answered my own question. Just read issue 20 courtesy of Ben ... Thank you for that.

Also thanks for your reply Thomas.

It seems that the deck edges may be proud of the ribs and will need to be sanded back as well as other ribs needing to be faired back to the deck edge.

I just decided to have a senior moment yesterday evening expecting the pieces to fit more accurately. I shall look forward to many happy hours of sanding once I have set the hull.

I would still appreciate some confirmation, perhaps from Tomick if he is reading this, especially regarding rib 15 as mentioned by Jonny.

Mike T

Tomick
#6 Posted : 21 August 2010 10:38:02

Groups:

Good fairing will take care of any highspots, use a plank to check the flow and take your time, remove material in small amounts and frequently check the plank flow.
jonny7england
#7 Posted : 21 August 2010 10:55:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tomick wrote:
Good fairing will take care of any highspots, use a plank to check the flow and take your time, remove material in small amounts and frequently check the plank flow.

Does that also mean rib 15 that Mike and me were on about mate? Confused
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Tomick
#8 Posted : 21 August 2010 11:12:33

Groups:

It does, otherwise you'll end up with a plank bulge.
Zeptrader
#9 Posted : 21 August 2010 11:29:53

Groups:

Ive just added some picture in the thread Fairing the Hull, it show frame 15 and what you need to do regarding sanding back.

http://forum.model-space...ts&m=13158#post13158
Mike Turpin
#10 Posted : 21 August 2010 11:57:30

Thanks for the picture Colin, it is reassuring to see that my components are similar to yours in appearance and fit. It all comes down to common sense and how much time we are prepared to spend on getting it right. My two previous models didn't seem to need as much adjusting as this would appear to need. However, it is sometime since I did the hulls on Halifax and Bounty so perhaps they did? Also when I was working on my own without the guidance of others I might not have been so critical. The forum and web links to other builds certainly encourages one to look closer towards perfection.

I can see the next set of issues arriving well before I'm ready and at the moment I have two weeks where I am away most of the time. Perhaps I should take the hull and sanding blocks with me, I'm sure the hotel will clean up any sawdust(??)

Mike T

axle396
#11 Posted : 21 August 2010 16:23:16

[quote=Zeptrader]Ive just added some picture in the thread Fairing the Hull, it show frame 15 and what you need to do regarding sanding back.

http://forum.model-space...s&m=13158#post13158[/quote]

Cheers for that Colin. I was concerned about sanding so much off frame 15, at first I thought I had a rogue rib. Very reassuring to know that everyone is in the same boat/ship. That's the beauty of having a forum.Laugh
Jimmy L.

current builds : Lancaster 1/32 (Hachette)
Revell USS Kearsarge
Titanic Lifeboat

I started off with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
BenE
#12 Posted : 21 August 2010 17:08:48

Mike Turpin wrote:
Mike Turpin wrote:

Mike T

I think I may have answered my own question. Just read issue 20 courtesy of Ben ... Thank you for that.

It seems that the deck edges may be proud of the ribs and will need to be sanded back as well as other ribs needing to be faired back to the deck edge.

I just decided to have a senior moment yesterday evening expecting the pieces to fit more accurately. I shall look forward to many happy hours of sanding once I have set the hull.

I would still appreciate some confirmation, perhaps from Tomick if he is reading this, especially regarding rib 15 as mentioned by Jonny.

Mike T

Good to hear the digital copies are helping out :)
gaffa1963
#13 Posted : 24 August 2010 23:54:51

I know rib 15 needs sanding back but rib 18 seems short what is the best method to deal with this hope this question does not sound stupid as i am new to building models with wood

Dave
Jack Sparrow
#14 Posted : 25 August 2010 00:02:40

Groups:

gaffa1963 wrote:
I know rib 15 needs sanding back but rib 18 seems short what is the best method to deal with this hope this question does not sound stupid as i am new to building models with wood

Dave

I had a few ribs on my Black Pearl that were a bit on the slim side, and I built them up with strips of planking glued to the ribs, then sanded them back. hope this helps. BigGrin
gaffa1963
#15 Posted : 25 August 2010 00:07:20

Thanks Jack Sparrow for the quick reply i will give it ago
z8000783
#16 Posted : 25 August 2010 08:15:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Mike Turpin wrote:
Mike Turpin wrote:

Mike T

I just decided to have a senior moment yesterday evening expecting the pieces to fit more accurately.

One wonders what the excitement about 'laser cutting' was all about in that case.

John
Tomick
#17 Posted : 25 August 2010 10:05:44

Groups:

gaffa1963 wrote:

Dave

Any over zealous fairing or short ribs can be dealt with by the method descrbed in 'quick tip' at the bottom of page 12 of issue 20.
Mike Turpin
#18 Posted : 25 August 2010 10:50:31

Thanks for the reminder Tom

I must admit that I haven't studied Issue 20 fully as yet, that I got from Ben. I'm basically working on Issue 17 to get the decks fitted carefully. I am assuming that when we start laying a plank along the ribs to see a smooth line, it will become clear whether we need to take a little off the decking edge or add to the rib to bring it out more. Choosing between superglue as a filler and Jack's suggestion of some spare planking, I might try Jack's method first - wood will probably sand easier(?)

It seems to me that there is going to be a lot of time needed for this and that we all need buckets of patience (apparently out of stock at Cornwall Boats!! I can't see where to buy someLOL)

Making all the little extras are all very well but the real success of this project, in my opinion, is going to depend on how well we get this planking right. I can see me falling further behind as magazine issues start to arrive but that's OK if the end result justifies it!

Mike T