Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
HMS Surprise build log. My first wooden ship. Options
ruffnite
#1 Posted : 01 October 2014 00:16:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi All, well this is my first ship build. I've built plastic models going on 30 years now and always saw wooden ship building as the gold cup of modeling. After extensive research i decided on model spaces HMS Surprise. I've recieved up to pack 3 and will recieve pack 4 sometime next month. I will post as much and often as i can. Please comments, suggestions, and tips are very much welcome. Infact I'm really hoping for them. So far most my time has gone into setting up my workspace. I already have a shop set up for my plastics so I just commandeered part of my shop and built another workbench. I also spent some time building a jig for the keel and hull. reading other posts i realized just how important having a well build sturdy jig is in keeping the hull true. So without further delay here we go.

I'm very pleased with how the jig turned out.

If they can make it BIG, I can make it small.......

Wayne RUFFNITE

Model Space HMS Surprise,
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=13545

ruffnite
#2 Posted : 01 October 2014 00:27:07

Time to get to work. I started cutting and dry fitting all the Bulkheads

As of today this is where i am. I'm starting on the deck now. as i progress i will update.
Thank you for taking the time and checking out my build.

Wayne RUFFNITE

davetwin
#3 Posted : 01 October 2014 08:58:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work with jig, looks like you are to a flying start.

Enjoy your build, I will be following
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 01 October 2014 11:30:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ruffnite

A very warm welcome to the forum.

Well you gave certainly picked a wonderful kit to build. From some of the other build diaries I have seen this is a really detailed kit and can be turned into one very impressive model.

Not a criticism but was wondering about your bolts through the hull pieces. Not seen this done by anyone using this type of jig. No major issues as far as I can see other than your going to have to remove them well before the planking prevents you doing so.

Looks like your off to a great start and looking forward to your further updates.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
stevie_o
#5 Posted : 01 October 2014 11:51:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 01 October 2014 21:53:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and a very nice startCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#7 Posted : 01 October 2014 22:44:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Warm welcome, will be following your progress with interest....Cool Cool .. Good luck with your build.

Regards

Alan
johncal
#8 Posted : 02 October 2014 04:11:17

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum! I have the same story as you. Built a ton of plastic but this is my first Wood model as well.

The only difference is that it will take you literally 15-20 times longer than any plastic kit you ever built. Ha Ha!

Also, this is no paint by numbers as you'll soon find out. Tons of research and patience is the key here.

My advice would be to treat every step you take almost as it's own model, and while keeping an eye on the prize and always planning ahead, once you start a particular step, just concentrate on that step and don't jump around too much. As an example, right now I'm working on the yards. I estimate just building all of them and not even installing them will take me a good 80 hours if I'm lucky. So I got my plan of attack and that's all I will think about until that step is completed. At least that approach works for me.

It's a friendly group here however so please take advantage of us and ask tons of questions as you go. Between all of our opinions I'm sure you'll get some good ideas.

BEST OF LUCK!

PS - In my post you can find links to a lot of early build pics. They might be helpful to you, especially around the Great Cabin where the instructions are truly lacking.
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 02 October 2014 08:55:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Ruffnite, BigGrin BigGrin

You`ve picked a BIGGUN for your first wood build.

I`m presently collecting this one and holding for later, but I wish you all the best in your venture.

Any questions, just ask away.
Someone will have the answer on here or help you find it.

You`ve made a good start , keep the pics coming

Happy Building,

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ruffnite
#10 Posted : 03 October 2014 07:13:41

Thank you so much everyone for the welcomes and well wishes. You know in my 30+ years of being involved with just about every aspect of scale modeling from plastics, RC planes, model railroading the list goes on as I know you all know when making it small is in your blood it’s in your blood. Lol but in any one of those cases when you have a group that not only promotes the hobby but they offer up their knowledge as I’ve see from reading all the forums and your all’s welcome it makes every minute and all the hours that much more of a story in your own life. I’m very pleased thank you.
As far as screwing the keel to the bracket I appreciate the comment ty it takes so long to upload the pictures into photo bucket I did leave out why I went that route. I cut my teeth designed building heavy duty truck and truck equipment we tend to over kill our builds allowing for adjustment. What you didn’t see is I have washers between the brackets and the keel to allow for adjustment as necessary. Again probably over kill but old habits are hard to brake lol. I’m uploading some more pictures tonight and I will include some of the spacers. Also I have discovered very quickly that I do need to treat each step as a separate model all its self ha-ha. Thank you for that advice.
I apologize for the length book I will learn to shorten my descriptions, I’m still very much in that new discovery phase and I get very excited lol. Thank you all again

Wayne RUFFNITE

Gandale
#11 Posted : 03 October 2014 22:45:02

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, keep posting those pics....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
karl1113
#12 Posted : 04 October 2014 00:30:02

very good start, it's your model,so build it your way,we are just here to help. if needed.BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 04 October 2014 09:15:36

BigGrin build your model the way your happy with my friend, great startCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#14 Posted : 04 October 2014 09:56:01

Ruff mite

No offence intended questioning your bolting of the hull to the brackets - it was just something I had not seen before.

Kind regards
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
ruffnite
#15 Posted : 06 October 2014 22:44:42

Tony, oh my i took no offence, in fact it did turn out to a bigger pain in the butt then it was worth. gone with the bolts lolLOL though it did hold all things square for as long as i needed it too, it was in the way. lesson #000001 learned Blink
reagards wayne

ps. please don't hesitate to ask and comment. it keeps me thinking and learning. thank you

Wayne RUFFNITE

ruffnite
#16 Posted : 06 October 2014 22:53:26

Oh, Forgot to mention I've procured the entire audio version of Patrick O'Brians books. Though I've read them all it's so nice listening to them while i build...YAAAA!!!!!LOL LOL LOL LOL

Wayne RUFFNITE

ruffnite
#17 Posted : 12 December 2014 11:47:22

Hi all, it’s been a little while since my last post so I thought id catch ya’ll up with my project. What I’ve been working on more than anything is building some specialty tools. First is a mini lathe. I was going to build one from scratch incorporating my Dremel 200 tool as my power supply. Then it dawned on me, about 6 years ago or so I bought a lathe from grizzly tools that used a hand drill for the motor. Now I needed something a lot smaller and one that would allow me control the speed and torque of the motor a lot more betterer then a hand drill lol. So I dug it out and finialy after 6 years I opened the box to see what it looked like. Low and behold the dremel fit into the mounting perfectly square and secure. After playing around with it for a while I realized I was handed a gift from the Gods perfectly fit for the task at hand. Following are some photos of the set up and the link to the page, and it Looks like it is still offered at a very good price for everything that comes with the kit.
http://www.grizzly.com/p...Lathe-Disc-Sander/H2669

Wayne RUFFNITE

ruffnite
#18 Posted : 12 December 2014 11:51:23

the lathe with the dremel tool instead of a hand drill

Wayne RUFFNITE

ruffnite
#19 Posted : 12 December 2014 11:55:16

As i played around with the set up a while i could see this will work out nicely.

Wayne RUFFNITE

ruffnite
#20 Posted : 12 December 2014 11:59:00

Next i busted out the good ole dremel router part number 231.

also works nicely as a sanding tool

Wayne RUFFNITE