Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Mary Celeste Options
thomasmoult
#1 Posted : 28 August 2010 00:31:33

Groups: Registered

Earlier in the year I read a brilliant book by a Mr Brian Hicks called 'Ghost Ship' - it is well worth a read.
For those who haven't heard of the ship Mary Celeste and her story, its runs along the lines of this:

The Mary Celeste was, in some ways, a 'cursed ship' from the day she was launched in Nova Scotia (I think). The most famous event in her history occurred when she was found drifting in the Atlantic by the Dei Gratia with not a soul on board, and with the ship in relatively good condition. There was no sign of any struggle, and even the sailors pipes (which went everywhere with them) and weather coats remained. Benjamin Briggs the captain was a distinguished and excellent seamen, and the crew would never had mutinied against him.

Anyway, the book details all of the events as well as the many possible theories (many plausible, many downright laughable) presented as to what actually happened that day. Either way it was such a tragic tale and I can't recommend the book highly enough.

Lent it to my old man afterward and we're deliberating building a model of the Celeste, there aren't many photos of her though Bored

Cheers,
Tom
Lonestar Spirit
#2 Posted : 28 August 2010 10:39:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

There are so many different stories of the Mary Celest that it's hard to know any truth about her now, it's just up to the reader to believe what he/she wants.
I was reading an article about the Mary Celest and her Captains plot for Insurance Fraud? it also involved the captain of the Dei Gratia, Mr David Reed Morehouse, who was put on trial for involvement in the insurance scam, along with his crew, during the trial, there were discrepancies in each of the sailors stories, which almost lost the case, but an investigation by the Vice Admiralty Court, approved their salvage and commended the crew of Dei Gratia's for their resourcefulness and courage, but the Captain still fell under suspicion of conspiracy to commit fraud as it was discovered that he and the captain of the Mary Celest were close friends, something he left out of his interview with the Admiralty and Gibraltar's Attorney General.

It's a compelling story, but for me it lost it's edge when I read about the insurance scam, but it would still be a nice ship to build.

Best wishes
Dave
Ship Builds on the go

Yamato - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
AKAGI - DeAgostini Subscription - Highly Recommend This Model
RMS Titanic Lifeboat (Kind Gift from DeAgostini Crew)