Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Shot Locker Options
daffy09
#1 Posted : 23 January 2015 00:34:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I have a question to ask about the shot locker in the cross-section build. It's not about the locker itself, more about it's use.
I'd love to know how it would have been used. There are hinged lids on the top, but surely the crew didn't have to reach what appears to be around 8 or 9 feet to get to the shot? How was it loaded and unloaded? i can't find an explanation anywhere. Is there some knowledgeable builder who can tell me?
Happy building
David
jase
#2 Posted : 23 January 2015 01:09:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The shot lockers store around 80 ton of shot so the only way to consume that is to take from the top. they used what they called 'whips' which were nets on a block and tackle rig to hoist shout out of the lockers and up to the required deck.

I believe there was around another 40 tone of shot more forward in the ship near the grand magazine. Victory had 4 lockers and had to cary shot for 6 months as she could be provisioned for that long.

Hope that helps

jase

PS. When you hear sombody say "just whip that upstaires" you ehil know where tat term comes from now 😎😁
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
daffy09
#3 Posted : 23 January 2015 14:00:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Jase, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I had in my mind a picture of some rather muscular sailors standing in the hold humping cannonballs over their heads. I assume the grating on the orlop deck would have been removed to facilitate the use of the whips.
Thanks for the info and the little piece of terminology, I didn't know that - it's quite amazing how many things we use in our speech today that have a history in period naval terminology.
Happy building
David
jase
#4 Posted : 23 January 2015 17:12:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

daffy09 wrote:
Thanks Jase, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I had in my mind a picture of some rather muscular sailors standing in the hold humping cannonballs over their heads. I assume the grating on the orlop deck would have been removed to facilitate the use of the whips.
Thanks for the info and the little piece of terminology, I didn't know that - it's quite amazing how many things we use in our speech today that have a history in period naval terminology.
Happy building
David

No probe. your right about the history of terminology too but a lot comes from other periods too like the Tudor word for a table top a 'board' this one gives us

Board room ( the room which the tables is kept)
Board meeting (estate meetings were always held around the big table)
Head of the board (person in charge sat at the head of the table)
Sideboard ( when not in use the table was pushed to the side and decorated with the best plates)
Cupboard ( if you come to display your cups and tankards on it)
Treading the boards ( tables taken outside for traveling entertainers to use)
board stiff and board games (games played on the table top)

I think its fascinating personaly

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Hans
#5 Posted : 26 January 2015 09:03:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for that Jase. Thats very interesting. Good to know
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section