Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<345
PB's Build Options
jase
#81 Posted : 15 March 2014 19:51:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Glad your back on it Paul, hope to see some pics soon

jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
pabaz
#82 Posted : 15 March 2014 19:55:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Made the decision to leave the lighting out of my build, really want to concentrate on getting the build done.
I have a year's worth of issue's to catch up on.
Will upload some picture's of what I have done so far, looking to get started on planking the hull, then it will start to look good, look like I am getting somewhere BigGrin
Been a big help seeing what everyone else has been up to while I've been gone, some great work out there, invaluable help for myself BigGrin
Paul

HMS Sovereign Of The Seas
pabaz
#83 Posted : 15 March 2014 20:04:53

One job I wanted to do was re-build the stem/bowspit frame. I had re-ordered a copy of issue 10.
Haven't included picture's of how it is done as you will all be aware of how to build it & I have shown how I built the last one with the balsa in fill.
Picture of both, one with balsa infill.
pabaz attached the following image(s):
Issue 10 - 06.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#84 Posted : 15 March 2014 22:59:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back working on her, keep posting and I'll keep following.. Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pabaz
#85 Posted : 16 March 2014 16:52:17

As I'm getting back into my build, decided to buy myself a Unimat 6 in 1, really good piece of kit from what I've been reading.
Just waiting for the postman now BigGrin BigGrin
48520.jpg
Paul

pabaz
#86 Posted : 16 March 2014 17:04:16

From what I've been reading about the difficulty of cutting the bamboo, thought it might be worth while getting one of these, hopefully should make the job easier. Confused
$(KGrHqNHJB8FGtD1Sd1OBRzCi+Jeqw~~60_12.jpg
Paul

Gandale
#87 Posted : 16 March 2014 20:01:21

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Paul, you won't go far wrong with those purchases.... Unimat is a great tool even if it does take a little getting used to.... Cool Cool .. Will be following.... Cool

Regards

Alan
pabaz
#88 Posted : 28 March 2014 12:45:27

Photo 1 & 2 - As I had decided not to fit lighting I have been fitting the middle deck.
Loose fitted it first to check all was ok, had to sand some areas to make sure it was a better fit.
I glued down the decks to the support beams, also putting some nails in to make sure nothing moved.

Photo 3 & 4 - At the stern end I have glued some balsa to the lower deck to the same height as the support beams, this gave a greater area to glue the deck to as it curve's upwards to the rear of the ship, also put some nails in the secure in place.

The curve is more than I expected, is this what it should be like ?

Issue 14 - 01.JPG
Issue 14 - 02.JPG
Issue 14 - 03.JPG
Issue 14 - 04.JPG
Paul

pabaz
#89 Posted : 28 March 2014 12:54:35

Photo 1 & 2 - After I fitted the middle deck I realised that the bulkhead didn't look straight.

Photo 3 & 4 - As you can see from the photo I have used balsa to infill the bulkhead, needed to cut this out & clean up the area of glue & balsa.

Photo 5 - 7 - The bulkhead re-fitted, with balsa infill & complete after shaping & sanding.

Photo 8 - The bulkhead now level with the deck.
Bulkhead Refit 01.JPG
Bulkhead Refit 02.JPG
Bulkhead Refit 03.JPG
Bulkhead Refit 04.JPG
Bulkhead Refit 05.JPG
Bulkhead Refit 06.JPG
Bulkhead Refit 07.JPG
Bulkhead Refit 08.JPG
Paul

pabaz
#90 Posted : 28 March 2014 13:41:37

The next part of my build is the gallery framework for the stern.

Photo 1 - The gallery framework complete, (will take more pictures of future build sections so that you can see more detail).

Photo 2, fitted the supports & frame halves, you will notice where I had used balsa blocks when fitting the ribs, I will need to remove some of this as I want to use balsa to infill between them.
I have used the deck extension as a fitting guide, to ensure everything is at the correct angles.

Photo 3 - I've used balsa between the frame halves & the bracing pieces to give some extra support.

Photo 4 - 6 - Several photos of the gallery framework fitted.

Will keep you all updated with then next step of my build.
Issue 15 - 01.JPG
Issue 16 - 01.JPG
Issue 16 - 02.JPG
Issue 16 - 03.JPG
Issue 16 - 04.JPG
Issue 16 - 05.JPG
Paul

pabaz
#91 Posted : 28 March 2014 13:46:01

The next step which I will start over the weekend is laying the first planks & strakes.
Really looking forward to it BigGrin BigGrin
Paul

Martyn Ingram
#92 Posted : 28 March 2014 16:46:21

BigGrin Lovely work Paul now the fun start's happy building rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
karl1113
#93 Posted : 28 March 2014 21:47:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice neat buils,well done.Cool
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Gandale
#94 Posted : 29 March 2014 10:01:35

Nicely done Pabaz, now you get to the interesting part, the planking....Cool Cool .. Am sure you will love it.... Will be following your progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pabaz
#95 Posted : 01 December 2014 20:25:08

Well finally getting back into it, been a long time since i've done anything.
Keep getting round to starting again & something happens in life & i don't get anywhere !!
I'm going to be off work for a month after an operation next week, so might as well try doing some work on my build.

I did say a while ago that i wasn't going to bother with the lighting i was looking at, change of plan, have this fascination with electronics so the lighting is back on.
Already designed the circuit boards, just need to make them, then lots of soldering.
Will update with some photos once i get under way.

Been good to look through everyones build diaries, given me some incentive to get going, some really nice work done by you all.

Good to be backBigGrin
Paul

Gandale
#96 Posted : 01 December 2014 20:36:42

pabaz wrote:
Well finally getting back into it, been a long time since i've done anything.
Keep getting round to starting again & something happens in life & i don't get anywhere !!
I'm going to be off work for a month after an operation next week, so might as well try doing some work on my build.

I did say a while ago that i wasn't going to bother with the lighting i was looking at, change of plan, have this fascination with electronics so the lighting is back on.
Already designed the circuit boards, just need to make them, then lots of soldering.
Will update with some photos once i get under way.

Been good to look through everyones build diaries, given me some incentive to get going, some really nice work done by you all.

Good to be backBigGrin

Great to have you back Paul, look forward to seeing how you progress especially with your lighting project....Cool Cool .. Good luck with it all....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pabaz
#97 Posted : 16 December 2014 15:26:04

Well I'm finally getting some work done on my build BigGrin

This is where I am so far with the lighting, I've started with making my own circuit boards for the LED's & the controllers for them.
Experimenting on making the circuit boards as I have never made any before.

Below are some photos so far (I know this isn't the ship build but thought some people might be interested in how it's all done)

Photo 1 - This is a piece of software I've used to design the circuit boards, it also creates the pdf files needed to create the boards.

Photo 2 - This is just the pdf printout of one board to give me some idea of size.

Photo 3-4 - This is where I cut the circuit boards to the size needed.

Photo 5-6 - The boards need cleaning before transferring the image onto them, all chemicals & finger prints need removing or the process won't work.
I've used wire wool to start with, then Acetone followed by rinsing off in water.

Photo 7-8 - This is photo transfer paper, the pdf image from the software is printed onto this using a laser printer, has to be a laser printer because of the toner, ink yet printers won't work. A mirror image is required so its the correct way round on the PCB board.

Photo 9-10 - To get the image from the photo transfer paper to the PCB board you have to use heat to make the toner tacky, it then sticks to the copper on the PCB board.
I first tried using a laminator but this wasn't hot enough to make the toner tacky.
I then tried an iron on full heat, this had the desired effect.

Photo 11 - (Not in focus !!) This is the PCB board with the image on it, you can see that not all the toner has transferred onto the board. I will need to experiment with the heat settings & the best way of putting pressure onto the board for best results.

Photo 12-13 - Before the copper can be etched away from the board the toner needs coating in this green foil, if this isn't done the copper under the toner could also be etched away.

I will leave the etching of the boards for another day, I need to experiment with getting the image transferred to the PCB board first.

Once I have this mastered I will update on the etching of the PCB boards.
PCB 1 (Custom).jpg
PCB 2 (Custom).jpg
PCB 3 (Custom).jpg
PCB 4 (Custom).jpg
PCB 5 (Custom).jpg
PCB 6 (Custom).jpg
PCB 7 (Custom).jpg
PCB 8 (Custom).jpg
PCB 9 (Custom).jpg
PCB 10 (Custom).jpg
PCB 11 (Custom).jpg
PCB 12 (Custom).jpg
PCB 13 (Custom).jpg
Paul

Gandale
#98 Posted : 16 December 2014 18:17:23

Interesting work on your lighting project.... will be following to see how it all turns out...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#99 Posted : 19 February 2015 13:04:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Paul.
Looking a nice clean build. look forward to seeing your progress Ian.Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.