Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

splinter net help please Options
jase
#1 Posted : 02 September 2010 19:56:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

question.

does anybody have a diagram of how the splinter nets were slung between masts when in battle?

i intend to model victory preparing for battle and would like to show these nets in place

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#2 Posted : 02 September 2010 22:03:32

Groups:

Lots of interesting info within this link of the pre-battle preps for Victory, and mentions "the crew's hammocks were placed in nets on the top of the bulwarks (the top of the ship's rail), these were also soaked, and served a function similar to sandbags preventing splinters."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A23708540
jase
#3 Posted : 02 September 2010 22:14:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thanks that's a very useful site indeed BigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Dontshootme
#4 Posted : 02 September 2010 23:48:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Jase,I stand to be corrected by Mike here,but as far as I am aware the nets usually slung over the decks during an action weren't deployed at Trafalgar,something to do with alerting the enemy.As I said I do stand to be corrected.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Mike Turpin
#5 Posted : 03 September 2010 00:27:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month

jase wrote:
question.

does anybody have a diagram of how the splinter nets were slung between masts when in battle?

i intend to model victory preparing for battle and would like to show these nets in place

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Hi Jase

I have added my two pennyworth onto your post in the Build Discussions describing why the netting between the masts. I haven't found a good illustration yet but will keep looking.

Dontshootme: I haven't heard that one about not deploying the netting at Trafalgar. It may be true but I don't see the point in that because the French and Spanish knew that a battle was inevitable and both sides were well aware of each others tactics so I would have expected all the British ships to go through the full battle preparations as described in the BBC link from Tomick.

Mike T