Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Micro Set / Micro Sol Options
scottymack
#1 Posted : 22 February 2015 23:41:15

Groups: Registered

Hello all, hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm building the MP4-23 McLaren and have gotten to the decals. At the end of the instructions, it mentions using a decal softener (which would have been helpful at the start) after I had already applied them. So I got some Micro Set and Sol after doing some research.

I tried it on the dried decals and nothing happened (it did soften them up and loosen them, but the did not shrink or conform.) I did the other side of the suspension using the directions (apply the set, then the decal, then the sol) and still nothing happened. I could live without the suspension decals, but getting worried about putting on the body decals.

I've read on some UK forums that there are some decals where you're not supposed to use the set, is that the case here? Anything else I might be missing? Is there something about these decals where it won't work?

Thanks!
Warthog
#2 Posted : 23 February 2015 11:29:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Scott

If you want to remove any of the decals from the suspension then you will need to get the micro sol under the decal and this can be done by using a small fine brush. Just keep gently working under the decal until it can be either removed or repositioned. The solution to get the decals to conform I've found best works shen it is warm as this will speed up and aid the softening of the decal, then allowing you to work the solution into the decal as such. Also you will need to keep on applying it rather than giving it a coat as the repelling of the solution displacement will not keep the decal covered. I've use it all the time and on the MP4/23 and had no problems.

Spencer
scottymack
#3 Posted : 28 February 2015 21:44:26

Groups: Registered

Thanks for that.

After some trial and error, I found that I needed to disregard the instructions and everything else I researched on the web. Everything said that the decals would wrinkle up and not to touch them after applying the Sol.

This did not happen for me, there was no wrinkling up and I kept applying the Sol while it was still wet. I had to use alot more than expected as well with enough to make a meniscus over the whole decal. I did three coats while wet, then let dry and did two more coats with drying in between.

It looks fantastic, but unfortunately I ruined the left side rear suspension decals and one of the right side. So if anyone has a spare rear set, could get me one, or even has a template to make my own, I will greatly reward you :)