Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Do you prime everything? Options
RobT
#1 Posted : 21 March 2013 22:51:35

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

As title suggests, do you prime everything or is priming only really necessary for certain parts or materials?
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 21 March 2013 23:16:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Rob
The answer is yes wether its the old type enamels or acrylics
If your mainly using acrylic paints they tend to be on the fragile side and can chip easily so undercoating all parts no matter what there size is a must to give the paint a good fix, also a light coat of varnish matt, satin or gloss is a good idea to seal the paint, another sealer coat with a gloss finish would also be something like 'Klear' as in the MP 24 builds
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

RobT
#3 Posted : 21 March 2013 23:23:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

When you say a varnish/sealer coat, do you mean something like Tamiya XF-86?
jase
#4 Posted : 21 March 2013 23:57:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have to agree with Andy you should undercoat everything. As for sealers I find Himbrol matt cote, satin cote & gloss cote are good products. Not only do they protect the paint finish but they are also good for blending the edges of decals and removing brush marks.

J
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
LrdSatyr8
#5 Posted : 16 March 2015 15:35:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I'm sorry... I hate priming and usually don't prime at all when painting enamel on plastic. Acrylic paint however yes, but if you're using enamel on plastic it's not as necessary because enamel tends to bond with the plastic itself causing a nice secure bond. However, just to be safe, I always put a coat of clear coat over the top when I'm done (either gloss or satin(dull)) to give the entire paint job a complete seal and it makes it look like part of the model as well.
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 16 March 2015 16:28:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I guess I am in the middle.If I am using flat paint on plastic I don't prime usually.If I am using glossy paint on plastic I do prime and will use a white primer to make the color topcoat as bright as possible.

If I am using lacquer paint I always prime.You have to with plastic or the lacquer paint will eat the plastic (ask me how I know).

With resin kits you need to wash thoroughly and use automotive primer to seal the resin especially if you are painting with lacquer paint.

With metal you need to degrease and use a good primer or the paint will not stick well to the metal. I recently used epoxy metal primer for my D51 train. This stuff is amazing.It is expensive and smells awful-you definitely need a respirator or you will be seeing pink elephants dancing around the room. The bond to the metal is incredible though.You basically have to sand it off because it is impervious to any solvents.

Carl