Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How to use a Magnetic Polisher on white metal castings Options
Fooesboy
#1 Posted : 21 March 2015 23:59:35

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution
Groups: Registered

Hi guys,

I thought that I would share this with you all, but first I wish to say that I'm not one of the amazing modellers who's work we admire, I more likely described as mediocre at best!

Just recently I was browsing through a forum that I hadn't visited for a while (F1M) and found that there was a number of them using a magnetic polisher, now I am a sucker for a new tool and firmly subscribe to the saying "The right tool for the job!" so I wend ahead and ordered me one! Blink

So what is a magnetic polisher? I hear you ask and what will it do for me?

A magnetic polisher is a automatic device used in the jewellery industry to polish rings and other metal items by a burnishing process. This gets into all the small hard to reach places. Where a Magnetic polisher really shines (pun intended), in our hobby is for people who make kits with a lot of white metal parts, while these can be cleaned up by hand it is a tedious and more importantly (for me) very dirty job. Then there is the trouble of holding very small or delicate parts while attacking them with scotch bright or steel wool just to have them "ping" off into the far reaches of your workspace where the ever present carpet monster happily runs off with them never to be seen again! Now imagine just dropping all those tiny hard to hold onto parts into a bowl, and then 30 minutes later you have nice shiny parts without feeding the carpet monster!

Now most of the guys on the other forum (F1M) reside in the USA and they where recomending purchasing through Ottofrei, but because I live in New Zealand and we have 240v power not 110v this would mean that Otofrei only had very expencive options, over $1'100.00 USD plus postage for the size I need.

This clearly was not going to be an option, I can do a LOT of polishing for that kind of money! So I started looking on ebay to see if I could find a second hand unit cheaper, straight away I found many Chinese models on offer at much better prices but no matter how hard I looked I could not find any rewiews on them. After much searching I found this model on Aliexpress for only $265.00 including postage to New Zealand, for this kind of investment I thought it a worthwile risk!

After a long wait this finaly turned up yesterday.... now with the wife away overseas for a couple of months the most logical place to set it up was the kitchen LOL

If you want to try this at home then there are a few extras that you will need, burnshing fluid and the steel pins. The pins are available in a range of sizes from 0.2 up to a masive 0.5, all in a 5mm length. I have started with the 0.3mm.

Now I was unable to find a seller on Aliexpress who could supply all that I needed, so I ended up getting bits from all over the show. Ottofrei in the US would be able to supply everything in one go for you lucky people who live in the US.

Here is a macro photo of the 0.5mm pins

Here is a comparison between the 0.5 and the 0.3 pins with a 1:43 wire wheel to give a idea on size.

Chris

Fooesboy
#2 Posted : 22 March 2015 00:08:07

Now before you use the polisher for the first time the pins need the protective oil's removed.

To do this first add some pins to the plastic bowl, I put the bowl onto some scales and added 200g of the 0.3mm pins

When the bowl is placed onto the base you can see the strong magnets.

I then added 300mil of water and a cap full of burnishing fluid. There where no instructions so I employed the TLAR principle judging amounts from photos on the net.

Side on of what it looked like.

I then set the timer for 30 minutes and pressed the go button! Drool

After just a minute the water started to turn black.
Then after the 30 minutes where up the water was extremely black with a thick scum layer on the top. Goes to show the importance of cleaning before starting to use on our expensive models.

I then drained the bowl using a paper filter for paint, the type car painters use. Then rinsed everything with plenty of fresh water.

Time to give it a try on some parts!!!!!!!
Cool Cool Cool
Fooesboy
#3 Posted : 22 March 2015 00:17:46

For my test I chose to use a white metal 1:43 Ferrari 250 GTO that has been sitting on my "shelf of doom" for far too long. I had previosly brushed the body with a wire brush, but had not yet cleaned up the mould lines. All the other bits that I put into the magnetic polisher had not been touched.

This is what they looked like, notice the oxidized surface.

As a note, you would normally remove the pouring tabs and scrape the mould seams before adding the parts to the magnetic polisher.

Here are all the bits in the bowl, with hind sight, I should have left either the body or the chassis out. Then covered the parts with water and added a cap full of burnishing fluid. Note: I have used 200g of the 0.3mm pins.

30 minutes later I went from this:

To this:

ThumpUp

I drained the bowl, washed the parts and the pins with water and put the parts out onto some paper towels to dry.

I love how you can now see the texture on the seats that otherwise would have been removed through the normal clean up process

So to sum up...

Could this be done by hand? Yes, but this was much easier, cleaner and faster.

Will this make me a better modeller? No, not likely, but I have a new tool so I'm happy! Love

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase, it's not for everyone but if you have a lot of white metal kits like I do then I think it is a worthwhile investment as the time saved in cleaning means more precious time available at the bench... looks like my carpet monster will be on a diet too! LOL

Chris
Fooesboy
#4 Posted : 22 March 2015 00:23:44

A couple of foot notes:

When storing the magnetic polisher DO NOT store the pins in the bowl ON TOP of the base, this will cause the pins to become magnetized and stick together instead of swirling around individually.

You do however need to keep the pins submerged in water and some burnishing fluid. I *think* to stop them from corroding as we have stripped off all the protecting oils in the first step!

This is a very gentile process, many people have experienced cleaning and polishing fragile parts that they would otherwise often damaged during the cleaning process. There is no loss of detail, sharp edges are retained and undercuts and troughs like cooling fins are cleaned thoroughly.

However there is a learning curve just like with any new tool, I found that I had over loaded the bowl. There where times during the 30 minutes when the parts would lock together. Knowing this I will be keeping an eye on things going forward, putting similar sized parts together and if things jam then it would be very easy to just take to lid off and lift out 1 piece.

The body of the car was damaged, nothing that cannot be fixed, I have just found the limit.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read my ramblings, I hope that someone will find the above information useful.

I am the type of person who normally does not write much on forums as I find it very difficult and time consuming to transfer my ideas to the computer screen however I think that it is important to try and give something back to a community where I have found so much information.

Feedback would be great, I'm not sure if the review has been done correctly.... Blushing I'm happy to edit as requested.

Chris
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 22 March 2015 00:37:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Chris

Now that,s an interesting bit of kit and its amazing how they recycle those old coffee grinders from 20 years ago into something usefulBlink LOL Love Laugh . Every new toy has a learning curve and im sorry you had some damage but the results speak for themselves a nice clean finish that removes just enough to keep the detail.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Fooesboy
#6 Posted : 22 March 2015 01:45:23

Hi Andy,

I'm not worried about the damage, well ok, maybe a little bit...

This was just a test run to get a feel for how it worked and to see if the amounts I was use were correct as the machine came without instructions.

Overall I am very happy and am in the process of getting all the engine parts together from a 1:32 IMCTH Mustang for a trip through the polisher!

Chris
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 22 March 2015 10:45:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Chris

That is an interesting piece of kit that I have never ever come across before.

I have seen the ultrasonic type of cleaners but never one such as this.

Pity about the damage but must admit it does really well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Fooesboy
#8 Posted : 22 March 2015 11:08:42

Hi Tony,

Yea it's a shame about the damage but this was a trial run and I need to get a feeling for how it works.

Today I have polished some parts for a 1:32 Mustang and the results where even better, I have found that it is important not to use too much water, just enough to cover the parts and pins.

All these pieces went into the magnetic polisher together and there was no damage to even the most delicate part.

I'm sold on it and very happy with my purchase!
Tomick
#9 Posted : 22 March 2015 11:59:50

Groups:

Interesting toic and well done on your first medal Cool
birdaj2
#10 Posted : 22 March 2015 12:02:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Chris

Top job. Those mustang parts look brilliant Cool

Guess it's like most things you buy - a little practice to get right but when you do the effort is well worth it.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
ModelMania
#11 Posted : 22 March 2015 12:03:20

Groups:

A great post Chris and an even greater tool, I can imagine how pleased you must be with it now that you've had time to test and evaluate the correct process?

I think though that you are rather brave testing it on a beautiful Ferrari 250 GTO - I would have tested it on an old pick-up truck!!! Laugh Blink

Kev BigGrin
Fooesboy
#12 Posted : 23 March 2015 08:50:53

Hi Mr T,

Thanks, but what is the medal for?
Fooesboy
#13 Posted : 23 March 2015 08:54:41

Hi Tony,

The IMCTH Mustang is superb, the white metal is cast by Model Factory Hiro and is top notch, hardly any clean up required before chucking into the polisher.

I have chosen the Mustang to build in preparation for the 1:16 Zero as it uses the same construction albeit in a much smaller and simplified form.

Chris
Fooesboy
#14 Posted : 23 March 2015 09:00:33

Hi Kev,

Fortunately the Ferrari was only a model, and if I was to test it with a pick-up then I would have needed to purchase another model.... Flapper

Although it has been damaged it will be easily enough fixed, it looks much worse with the macro lens than in person.

I also believe that it is important, especially when describing a "How To" to show a "Warts and all" approach rather than just posting what looks good or only what goes to plan as it could be misleading to someone who wishes to go down the same path.
arpurchase
#15 Posted : 23 March 2015 09:25:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Here you go, a link to explain the Medals

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=2621

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .