Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What kind of varnish on the hull? Options
Rod
#1 Posted : 22 April 2015 14:48:34

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi guys
I am getting close to the hull sanding time Blink and thinking about What type of varnish I should use. I look for something To keep the wood as natural as an old ship could have ...
The manual tell us To use satin nytrocellulose, but I want some advice for this from the experts out there!
Thanks
Rod
Building: Senna's 1:8 Mclaren MP4/4; Mustang Shelby 1:8, Le Soleil Royal and San Francisco II

magpie1832
#2 Posted : 22 April 2015 17:15:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rod, On mine I used normal satin varnish but on my Surprise I used a thinned mixture of white spirit and Danish oil, let it dry, then another coat,after that coat get fine wire wool and buff it all over. Then give a none thinned coat, leave to dry. Buff over with wire wool again then one final coat. Once dry buff again with wire wool then rub over with soft cloth. Leave to dry for a good few days to harden. The results are amazing and it brings out the colour of the mahogany more. Once fully cure glue will stick to it, so your OK that way.
Hope that helps Chris..
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#3 Posted : 22 April 2015 23:50:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Rod, with me I simply used a clear satin varnish rubbing down with very fine grade paper between coats. Very pleased with the results I achieved on my walnut hull.... Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan

jase
#4 Posted : 23 April 2015 00:24:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You can use a satin varnish or a matt if you want a more natural wood look.

Humbral are as good as any.

use a fine emery between coats or micro mesh finishing cloth works well. for the top coat there is a product called micro-gloss liquid abrasive which is a cream abrasive applied with a soft cloth.

i would suggest trying your chosen varnish on some scrap until you find a method that gives you the finish you are looking for.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain