Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

What is the best modeling airbrush? Options
Gauncer
#1 Posted : 20 May 2015 19:48:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I am in the market for a new airbrush and I thought I would ask you guys what you like best.

Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

JG

In the workshop: HMS Victory
Finished builds: Providence Whaleboat
Nemesis
#2 Posted : 20 May 2015 19:57:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now there is a question with a thousand answers!!!LOL BigGrin Personally I use Veda. Mid range airbrush, easy to source spares and does everything I want it to do. There are some expensive ones out there, but personally I think a good 30 - 50 pound brush will do everything they can do and are perfect for modeling. BigGrin BigGrin
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 20 May 2015 21:02:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have a grex airbrush and it works very well.It is easy to clean and comfortable in my chubby little hands.
I have also used Badger and Paasche airbrushes, but they made my hand cramp after a while.

THe Badger was nice for fine work, but the grez is great for covering large areas.I have not yet used it for fine details. It has a pistol grip and may be more challenging to do fine work with

davetwin
#4 Posted : 20 May 2015 22:09:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I use a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2 in 1 and love it. It comes with a 0.2mm and 0.4mm needle as well as a 2ml and 5ml paint cup.

Its not the best but suits me well.
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 20 May 2015 23:03:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I use CCC's [Cheap Chinese Copys] for all my general spraying but these can be lacking when you need a finer finish so I recently treated my self to an Iwata Neo CN airbrush,Link below,

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=14454

With all things in life you generally get what you pay for so a couple of cheapys and a medium to good air brush should cover all your needs. Another thing you will need is a good compressor preferably with a tank, there are many out there and some companys do them as starter kits with a couple of cheap airbrushes thrown in. I recently upgraded my compressor to one with a tank having used a tankless one for a good while, again link below to give you a good idea.

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=13826

Once you get your airbrush its a case of practice, practice and more practice to hone your skills this can be done by spraying cheap plastic utensils or a very cheap plastic kit. Whatever you decide have fun with it and enjoy the experiences.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

kenjara
#6 Posted : 21 May 2015 13:19:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have the same Iwata airbrush as arpurchase and can vouch that it is a good buy. Been using it for years without issue.
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Gauncer
#7 Posted : 21 May 2015 15:49:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Great you guys!!! Thanks for all the info. Happy modeling!!

JG
In the workshop: HMS Victory
Finished builds: Providence Whaleboat
debrartin
#8 Posted : 26 May 2015 20:46:34

Groups:

Gauncer wrote:
I am in the market for a new airbrush and I thought I would ask you guys what you like best.

Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

JG

Badger is a good airbrush for modeling. Its work well, much cheaper and more 'instant'. I personally use Badger. It is a Dual Action, Gravity Feed, Internal Mix-With a large top mount color cup, this is an excellent airbrush for larger fine detail projects. I've using it for 2 years and till now work good.