Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

white metal painting Options
magpie1832
#1 Posted : 13 May 2015 08:52:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Morning all, quick question. When I paint my pieces leave to dry then overcoat in top colour. After a day to dry if I catch the part wrong the paint peels off like rubber. What can I do to prevent it. Thanks Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

kenjara
#2 Posted : 13 May 2015 09:51:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Did you use primer before painting?
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
magpie1832
#3 Posted : 13 May 2015 10:08:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hiya , yeah I used Vallejo primer and model air paint. Cheers
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

birdaj2
#4 Posted : 13 May 2015 10:49:58

Hi Chris

Hope all is well with you.

Just a couple of suggestions that might be of help.

First off have the parts been de-greased and cleaned?

Have you made sure the primer is correctly mixed? Have found with some of these products they seperate out if left standing over time.

Ladtly have you given the primer sufficient time to dry out completely do you think. Just wondering if your top coat is sealing in "moisture" from the primer so instead of evaporating off its going into the primer and lifting that from the metal.
The link i have included below recommends 12 to 24 hours drying time

As a last option i would be inclined to try my old favourite and that is the good old Halfords rattle cans cans of primer. I have never had issue with these.

The following link may provide some more helpful tips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d3e__zE4dU

Hope you managed to sort and i am sure you will get some other good suggestions from the modellers on here
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 13 May 2015 11:54:09

Cheers Birdaj , One thing I didn't do wash wash them. So will try that one out. Also the primer was left for 24 hrs, its a new bottle well shaken. I will test leaving it for longer next time and see what results I get.
Cheers Chris.
On the bench

birdaj2
#6 Posted : 13 May 2015 11:57:37

Chris

Hope it all works out ok.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
stevie_o
#7 Posted : 13 May 2015 12:26:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris,
I can speak from experience here, Vallejo primer needs a long cure time, 72 hours to a week for white metal.
It rolls off like rubber even on plastic unless it's left for 72 hours. I googled this a while back and eventually found the cure times from others.
There are many bad reviews about the primer because of this but if you wait it is very good stuff.

The best thing is that its beautiful to spray and goes on very evenly and if left to cure for the right time it is as hard as nails.

It just depends on how patient you are, if you are in a hurry then go for the Halfords rattle cansBigGrin

Steve
magpie1832
#8 Posted : 13 May 2015 14:58:58

Cheers Steve, that's probably where my problem lies. Will have to prime and leave alone from now on. As for rattle cans I usually use citadel but small detailed pieces are hard to spray, Still have plenty of other things I can get on with on the ship while waiting.
Cheers Chris
On the bench

magpie1832
#9 Posted : 29 May 2015 22:46:59

Quick update. I washed all white metal parts and sprayed with Vallejo surface primer. I've left it five days and its still peeling. I sprayed plastic at same time and all is fine. Brass pe and it peels. Will need rethink now. Probably decant aerosol primer into airbrush.
Chris
On the bench

Nemesis
#10 Posted : 30 May 2015 00:04:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hmmmm never had a problem with Vallejo primers, its what I use all the time on plastic, pe, white metal, come to think of it, anything!! Is it the same bottle? Maybe you have a duff batch? If all else fails, Halfords Grey primer, I used that on my 1:16 Tiger, only because it was so big I would have needed a tanker full of Vallejo!!!LOL BigGrin
magpie1832
#11 Posted : 30 May 2015 00:08:19

Hi Nem. Did u thin it or straight from bottle. I gotta be doing something wrong lol. Cheers
On the bench

Nemesis
#12 Posted : 30 May 2015 00:13:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

magpie1832 wrote:
Hi Nem. Did u thin it or straight from bottle. I gotta be doing something wrong lol. Cheers

Hi Chris,
I use it straight from the bottle, no thinning. The Vallejo primers are designed to be used in airbrushes straight from the bottle. Yes I have scratched it and on large models easy to do, but never had one peel like you have had. Their primers are for use on anything, pe, resin, plastic etc. Thats why I am wondering if you had a bad batch? One thing I always do now is buy 4mm ball bearings and put 2 in every pot and bottle of paint I have. Easy to mix them and no separation. Could that be the issue? Stood for a while and separated?