Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

The Battleship Yamato Options
billbo
#1 Posted : 31 May 2015 17:51:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

just been looking at the yamato and its really catching my eyes prob will go for th 11 month as i dont have much patience for waiting haha anyway just want to ask hows the build and is there any problems i should look out for thanks
building the spitfire,RMS Titanic hachette and now starting the u-96 submarine
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 31 May 2015 20:31:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Bilbo

The Yamato is a great build, I had no problems when building her as its all quite straight forward and well thought out, just make sure the base is well screwed down until the planking is finished . I would also recommend going a plank higher at the deck area so after the decks are fitted you can just sand them back to deck level and it looks much neater doing it that way. The metal parts are all well cast but will need the usual burrs and mould marks removing. The etch provided is good too although I did buy the Gold medal set for my build.
When built she is a fair size and most people comment on her when they see her, I enjoyed building her and would say go for it you wont regret it. If you have any more questions just ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Regards

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

billbo
#3 Posted : 01 June 2015 17:20:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

hi andy thanks for the tips i have made my mind after seeing your build diary iam going on board and atempt it iam quite new to wood models have the hachette u96 under build so need a filler to keep me busy have you got a link to the etched parts thanks so i can have a wee look thanks Billy
building the spitfire,RMS Titanic hachette and now starting the u-96 submarine
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 01 June 2015 18:39:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Billy

The etch set is from the USA and not cheap at around $150 = about £98, the main reason I got it was for the railings and some of the other parts are more detailed too like the walkways/railings around the range finders. Link below.

http://freetimehobbies.c...nd&faceted_search=0

I also got this set and used some of the parts on my build but its not essential

http://freetimehobbies.c...ine-details-photo-etch/

As for the planking if your doing ok with the sub then you will be fine on this too, Please ask away if you have anymore questions
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .