Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

First build in a long time Options
492727ZED
#1 Posted : 01 June 2015 07:44:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

The last time I built any kind of model I was 13 years old. I used to build all sorts of models- cars, planes, ships, and spacecraft. Then I discovered girls and video games. Model making was suddenly less important to me.

I am now one month from my 33rd birthday. This will be my first model build in nearly 20 years, and I am extremely excited. I am very much looking forward to trying out some more advanced painting techniques, like dry brushing, using an airbrush, and weathering, that I never bothered with when I was younger.

When I used to build models as a kid I purchased all my supplies from a nearby department store. In the back of the store they had a selection of model kits, some paints, brushes, thinner, and glue. It seems that department stores no longer carry modeling supplies, so I will likely be buying paints online.

I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for me as far as what paint, primer, and thinner I should be considering?

Warthog
#2 Posted : 01 June 2015 10:36:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

First of all a warm welcome to the forum and congrats on subscribing to the Falcon BigGrin
Details regarding the paints and colours to use will be provided in future issues of the series but there are members who have decided to start painting there parts already and looking through their build diaries will come up with a few nuggets of info on what paints they are using.

Vallejo paints seem to be the modellers choice and can found from numerous online retailers with a simple search. As for the colours? Well that's under debate to how accurate you want your falcon to look but if this is your first return to model making in 20 years then may I suggest following the instructions provided as this will slowly bring you back into the hobby and how to achieve great results.

SnM Stuff do Vallejo Sets to get you started and also provide a very comprehensive range of other materials.

http://www.snmstuff.co.u...llejo-model-color-sets/

Spencer
Tomick
#3 Posted : 01 June 2015 11:16:11

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace, hope you enjoy your stay with us and your build Cool
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 01 June 2015 15:34:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum 492727ZED,
I am forum support for USA so let me know if I can help in any way.
The original filming model was painted with FLoquil grime paint.THis is no longer available so there are lots of different mixtures of other paints used to get the basic off white color.

Vallejo paints are excellent.If you get the modelair line of paints they are ready to airbrush from the bottle.Tamiya also has a great range of acrylic paints, but these do need to be thinned for airbrushing.if you are planning to brush paint the Vallejo regular paints dry very quickly with few brush strokes visible if you apply thin layers.

Remember that weathering darkens the paint quite a lot.

492727ZED
#5 Posted : 01 June 2015 19:16:56

Thank you so much for the warm welcome everyone!

I went ahead and ordered some Vallejo primer this morning. Besides priming the parts, my intent is to wait until I have all the hull parts before I do any other exterior painting or weathering.

Warthog wrote:

First of all a warm welcome to the forum and congrats on subscribing to the Falcon BigGrin
Details regarding the paints and colours to use will be provided in future issues of the series but there are members who have decided to start painting there parts already and looking through their build diaries will come up with a few nuggets of info on what paints they are using.

Vallejo paints seem to be the modellers choice and can found from numerous online retailers with a simple search. As for the colours? Well that's under debate to how accurate you want your falcon to look but if this is your first return to model making in 20 years then may I suggest following the instructions provided as this will slowly bring you back into the hobby and how to achieve great results.

SnM Stuff do Vallejo Sets to get you started and also provide a very comprehensive range of other materials.

http://www.snmstuff.co.u...llejo-model-color-sets/

Spencer

I'm still trying to figure out how accurate I want the paint job to be. It is my understanding that movie miniatures were usually painted with higher contrast colors, under the bright movie lights the high contrast paint job would appear more muted.

So I am trying to decide if I want to aim for replicating the shooting model itself, or try to make it more closely match what we saw on screen, compensating for the movie lighting. At this point I am leaning more towards trying to make it look more like we saw on screen, and less a replication of the shooting model. My indecisiveness on this issue is one of the reasons I am just going to prime the exterior right now, doing the other painting later.
dandare
#6 Posted : 01 June 2015 19:44:13

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the Forum 492727ZED
there's a wealth of information on here and Spencer has done a few great Youtube videos on painting & weathering techniques for the Falcon.
Enjoy your build

regards
Dan
Built - MP4/23, Zero, Deagostini Falcon, Model Airways 1903 Wright Flyer, Senna Mp4/4.
Working - Mclaren M23 1/8th scale to complement the Deagostini MP4/23 & Mp4/4
on the bench, Model Airways Sopwith Camel.
492727ZED
#7 Posted : 02 June 2015 21:06:48

I finally found some time to sit down and start putting everything together. Once my paints arrive I will be painting the cockpit interior and priming the exterior panels.

I've been watching lots of video tutorials on painting and weathering, many specifically related to the falcon, but I still welcome any advice or wisdom that anyone would care to share with me.

stevie_o
#8 Posted : 03 June 2015 00:21:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal