Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Warped Wooden parts, what is the best tip? Water,Rubbing Alcohol, or what? Options
Gauncer
#1 Posted : 01 July 2015 00:19:01

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. I have some warped wood part for my HMS Victory.

I read soaking the wood in water and pressing it over night between glass is a common practice.

I have also read rubbing alcohol pressing it between two flat surfaces over night may work.

If you just want to flatten warped wood, would you use steam?

Anyone one have good advice or experience with either method or your own.

Thanks and keep on boating.
In the workshop: HMS Victory
Finished builds: Providence Whaleboat
jase
#2 Posted : 01 July 2015 14:36:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi,

Steem is really for bending not strightening as the wood fixes in position soon as it cools.

best bet is to soak the part in water for an hour and then press on a flat surfface with weights, books whatever is flat. part should be flat once dried.

cannot comment on the other method never used it.

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
magpie1832
#3 Posted : 01 July 2015 16:40:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I usually sit in boiling water for half hour then put under granite xhopping board for few days. Then glue in place and strengthen areas.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

jonny7england
#4 Posted : 01 July 2015 19:04:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yes, I had a couple of warped ribs on my victory...Soaking in hot water for 30 to 45 minutes then lay them on something that is perfectly flat... place a same size heavy object on top and leave for 24 hours, or just a bit longer if you are in no hurry...Worked perfectly for me...Hope that this helps...
Smile ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...