Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Display base Options
Metal Mech
#1 Posted : 13 July 2015 05:03:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I know we are still in the beginning of the build phase, but there have been some talk of display cases. So I was curious what everyone was thinking about for displaying their Falcon. Originally I was planning on using the wall mount, but now that I see the cool detail of the interior I am really second guessing this idea. I have read that some are thinking of a mirrored base to showcase the underneath detail.

I had a slightly different idea. I recently(over a year ago) pledged for 28mm miniature game board set. The original game I was planning on using it for I am no longer interested in and have been looking to sell off the items I purchased to play the game. I was originally looking for a way to repurpose these game boards. I was hoping to maybe use them for my Gundam models but they are an odd scale for any of the models I have. So I just had the idea of using them to make a landing pad for the Falcon. They are a 1/53 scale which is too small, but I was thinking maybe I could just repaint, and mod them to work as a landing pad. I am posting up a photo of the six game boards that I got. The photos is incorrect as they updated the six that were included in the pledge. In the image you will see a two t-section road boards. In reality the replaced one of the t-sections with another straight section. Now the roads are painted onto the boards, but they didn't prime the boards before hand so removing the paint should be a breeze. Basically once the paint is removed the road sections will be a slightly lowered portion of the board, same goes for the board that shows the park. Its not painted and is just a depressed section. Each board is 24"x24", so I would only need to use 4 of them.

If anyone has ideas and suggestions of how I could paint, mod the boards into a landing pad I am open to anything. One thing that might be cool is to have hoses and such hanging down like its being worked on. I could then make some of those be the actual power wires for the lighting system inside the model, and any additional lighting I add. Figure I could even add lights and such to the landing pad.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete