Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Price Discrepancy between U.K. and USA??? Options
rabidcatfan
#1 Posted : 06 August 2015 15:32:38

Groups: Registered

OK, why is it that in the U.K., the first issue was 2.99(gbp)/$4.63(usd) and the other 99 issues come/came in at 8.99(gbp)/$13.93(usd). That means they are paying roughly $1384(usd) when all is said and done, whereas the US customer base is paying $66 a month (including shipping) and the final tally comes in at $1650(usd). So, we are basically paying $300 more for the same thing over time. I know it comes in at $56 per month versus $60, which isn't much, but the addition of a $7 shipping charge inflates it to roughly $2.50 extra per issue. I just think the price we pay should be comparative to the price they pay overseas.

I really think the shipping should be free since they are already tacking on an additional $4 per month as it is over the U.K. release. Sorry, I know it sounds petty, but it's the only real gripe I have here. This stuff doesn't sound like much until you calculate the total cost difference which is pretty sizable when it really shouldn't be.
davetwin
#2 Posted : 06 August 2015 15:40:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rabidcatfan wrote:
OK, why is it that in the U.K., the first issue was 2.99(gbp)/$4.63(usd) and the other 99 issues come/came in at 8.99(gbp)/$13.93(usd). That means they are paying roughly $1384(usd) when all is said and done, whereas the US customer base is paying $66 a month (including shipping) and the final tally comes in at $1650(usd). So, we are basically paying $300 more for the same thing over time. I know it comes in at $56 per month versus $60, which isn't much, but the addition of a $7 shipping charge inflates it to roughly $2.50 extra per issue. I just think the price we pay should be comparative to the price they pay overseas.

I really think the shipping should be free since they are already tacking on an additional $4 per month as it is over the U.K. release. Sorry, I know it sounds petty, but it's the only real gripe I have here. This stuff doesn't sound like much until you calculate the total cost difference which is pretty sizable when it really shouldn't be.

I expect there is quite a complicated answer based on the value of the dollar against the Euro or British Sterling, but based on the perception of what the dollar will actually buy rather than the value manipulated by banks for world trade, advertising and shipping too. Much like it is in reverse with American companies selling their goods in Europe with the price being considerably more than in the states for the very same reasons above.

Just my take on it
greyhawk
#3 Posted : 06 August 2015 15:45:20

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rabidcatfan
#4 Posted : 06 August 2015 15:46:52

Maybe so. I was just going by the exchange rate. I guess I didn't take the actual value of the USD overseas.
michu
#5 Posted : 06 August 2015 15:49:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

^^^ Post of the year.

Laugh LOL
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 06 August 2015 16:38:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

rabidcatfan wrote:

The prices you quoted are for the weekly magazine, not the monthly subscription.In UK you can buy the magazine weekly from newsagents so there is no shipping fee.When you subscribe you get 4 magazines in one box every month month shipped to you.Also don't forget USA is a pretty big country and so shipping expenses are likely much higher than in UK which is a much smaller country.

Carl

SithLord
#7 Posted : 06 August 2015 21:47:17

i only pay $1 for all my shipments

so hahaBigGrin