Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Displaying the model... Options
rabidcatfan
#1 Posted : 03 August 2015 20:14:18

Groups: Registered

I know the kit is a 1:1 replica of the ESB 32" x 24" stunt model but has anyone made considerations for displaying the completed prop once built? A model this size would be HUGE and unless you have a lot of open space in your home, it will take a up a sizeable chunk of a standard persons home. I know that the USA subscribers will receive a wall bracket with the 25th month shipment, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around how this will look. I really want to build this replica, but wish that DeAgostini would release pics of the model attached to the wall bracket so that I can get an idea of how it will look. I would love to build it and just display it on a mirrored table, but I have small kids in the house and I would fear they would destroy it when I wasn't looking.

I've been teetering back and forth between going ahead with the kit and with moving on to a smaller kit and accurizing it; I could save a ton of $$$$ by picking up a 1/72 Finemolds for $300 and would have a nearly screen accurate Falcon at 1/5 the price and it would be a much more displayable size at 18" x 14", but wouldn't lose too much detail in the process. Then again, there's something to be said about having an exact 1:1 replica of the shooting prop which makes the DeAgo Falcon so appealing.
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 03 August 2015 20:53:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

HI rabidcatfan,
welcome to the forum.I have the fine molds 1/72 falcon and it is a great kit, but it does have some accuracy issues.I have wanted a larger scale falcon for years, but I don't have the skill to build one from scratch.I was happy when the falcon was released by DeAgostini. It does build into a BIG model though.I know some people making a coffee table display case.I don't think I will use the wall mount because I want to be able to look at my model up close.

Whatever you decide to build I hope you will consider posting a build diary on the forum.

Also don't forget it takes 2 year to build so your kids will be bigger by the time you have finished it!!!!

rabidcatfan
#3 Posted : 03 August 2015 21:05:03

LOl, yeah I did think about that, but my youngest daughter is 2 years old right now so she'll be closer to 4-1/2 when the model is built completely, so that would be a definite possibility.
davetwin
#4 Posted : 03 August 2015 22:45:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome rabidcatfan

I also have the finemolds kit. I am also building the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon and can say it is also a great kit. Which would I choose of the two if I had to, honestly I do not know, it all comes down to what I am looking for as they are completely different kits.

I will say that everyone I have spoken to who have gone for the DeAgostini kit have not been dissappointed, I know of a couple of people who were on the fence but decided to get it after seeing it at a model show.

If you visit this link and click the 'your model' tab then scroll down a little you will see a small picture showing the model on its wall stand.

At the moment I have no idea where or how I will be displaying mine Confused
greyhawk
#5 Posted : 03 August 2015 22:54:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you really really can't find a place to display it, you can always contact your local library. Most will be happy to fit their sci-fi section with your model, hang it from the roof, add a little sign about you maybe, have an "check out this cool model that guy made" charity event. Double points for "he made this by reading a magazine".
rabidcatfan
#6 Posted : 05 August 2015 16:26:30

Davetwin, which link would that be please?

Thanks. If I can see it on its wall bracket that will give me a little more idea of whether or not I can fit this into the space I have available.
stevie_o
#7 Posted : 05 August 2015 16:31:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

davetwin
#8 Posted : 05 August 2015 18:35:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

stevie_o wrote:
here's the link, it shows the wall bracket and also a pic of the model on the bracket in the gallery - http://www.buildmillenniumfalcon.com

Steve

Thanks Steve, I thought I had posted the link, not too sure what happened there

Sorry rabidcatfan Blushing
Metal Mech
#9 Posted : 06 August 2015 00:56:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

How to display this is going to be a hard decision. Originally I had planned to use the wall mount so I didn't take up limited table/floor space. Plus it would just look darn cool mounted on the wall looking like its flying. In fact the inclusion of the bracket was what sold me on getting this.

However there is the issue of the really cool interior, and not being able to view it if its hanging on the wall. Same goes for the motorized landing ramp.

Then I started reading other peoples ideas for how to display it and there were some cool ones. Displaying it inside a glass coffee table is an excellent option for me because then the space can still be made usable.

Then on top of that I have these game boards that I am no longer planning on using for intended games I bought them for, but with some work they would make a great landing port, but would take up a 4ft x 4ft area.

So many choices.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
SithLord
#10 Posted : 06 August 2015 21:56:12

i plan on building a coffee table for mine
maybe the landing bay in the deathstar
or another location , but i dont think ill just set it on a mirror
asianflava
#11 Posted : 07 August 2015 05:23:42

Groups:

SithLord wrote:

There is a place nearby that makes both an asteroid surface and DeathStar surface that is meant to display the MR Falcon. I plan on putting this on the bottom of the coffee table display.
Metal Mech
#12 Posted : 07 August 2015 23:10:05

asianflava wrote:
SithLord wrote:

There is a place nearby that makes both an asteroid surface and DeathStar surface that is meant to display the MR Falcon. I plan on putting this on the bottom of the coffee table display.

Care to share the details of this item?

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
greyhawk
#13 Posted : 07 August 2015 23:26:09

RogerThornhill
#14 Posted : 08 August 2015 05:45:56

Now that I think about it...it might be cool to do a Bespin landing platform...or a docking bay 94 landing...or a background like it's sitting on a star destroyer....hmmmm have to think about this some more.