Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<56789>»
Gibbo's DeAgostini Victory Build Diary Options
jase
#121 Posted : 05 August 2015 13:22:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

looking excellent. cutting the gun ports as you go does break up the manotony of planking

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
tf64
#122 Posted : 05 August 2015 21:38:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work Gibbo.

Regards Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Gibbo
#123 Posted : 05 August 2015 22:50:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks guys for all of your kind wordsThumpUp a little more of the planking done this evening up to the forcastle, i do wonder why they didn't make frames 15 & 16 a little higher to take the planking ?Confused
Gibbo attached the following image(s):
DSCN1055.JPG
DSCN1056.JPG
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
stevie_o
#124 Posted : 05 August 2015 23:52:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work GibboBigGrin Frame 15&16 are left short as that top plank will be sanded at an angle getting lower from bow to stern, the frames would interfere with this process if they were higher.

Steve
Gibbo
#125 Posted : 06 August 2015 00:21:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

stevie_o wrote:
Nice work GibboBigGrin Frame 15&16 are left short as that top plank will be sanded at an angle getting lower from bow to stern, the frames would interfere with this process if they were higher.

Steve

Ah...now i see, thanks for that steveThumpUp
Gandale
#126 Posted : 06 August 2015 00:56:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Gibbo, looking great...Cool Cool .. You will find with a lot of these kind of builds you end up planking above the ribs especially at the bow and stern. It makes the getting the final height and angles of the bulwarks a lot easier to achieve....Cool Cool .. Keep up the great work, enjoying your build very much.....

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#127 Posted : 06 August 2015 08:17:57

BigGrin looking good Gibbo lovely job Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
arpurchase
#128 Posted : 06 August 2015 17:23:59

Cool Cool Nicely doneCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gibbo
#129 Posted : 07 August 2015 01:25:55

Upper deck gun-ports cut bar eight of them, and starting to build up the stern planking.
48.JPG
davetwin
#130 Posted : 07 August 2015 01:35:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I keep going back to look at how it was when you got her, the transformation is incredible, you really are doing a fantastic job! Glare
Gibbo
#131 Posted : 07 August 2015 10:07:39

davetwin wrote:
I keep going back to look at how it was when you got her, the transformation is incredible, you really are doing a fantastic job! Glare

Thank you Dave, much appreciated, droppers & stealers coming soon, not something i've done before so should be fun.
Cheers
Paul
Gibbo
#132 Posted : 08 August 2015 01:18:19

Pic no.1: Unused planking has been used for the bow and upper stern sections and the planking that was used before has been used for everything else and this little pile of wood is what's left, so there has not been a lot of wastage so far, Pic no 2: The upper planking is now complete. Pic no. 3: The Launch has been dismantled and cleaned up ready for re-assembly, with a bit of jiggling back and forth it came apart pretty easily, had to make a missing bow former no.3 and i dont seem to have any planking material for the Launch, i might try sanding down some 1mm Tanganyka and see how that goes.
49.JPG
50.JPG
51.JPG
tf64
#133 Posted : 08 August 2015 08:43:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gibbo,
Your build is growing every time I take a look, gun ports are looking good as with the planking very well done.

Regards
Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Gandale
#134 Posted : 08 August 2015 10:53:21

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Think you are doing a great job with this one Gibbo, the difference to her now is unrecognisable... Very well done.....
Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gibbo
#135 Posted : 09 August 2015 00:00:08

Thank you for looking in and all of the positive feedback guys, it's very much appreciated, the launch frames are now all back together on their jig and with this thing being knocked around a bit and coming half way round the country there are a couple of fragile frames as you can probably see in the picture, these i will have to straighten out as we do the planking, i tried to sand some 1mm Tanganyka down to about a half mill because i don't have the supplied strips but really couldn't get the consistency right the way through, i thought this might be just too much trouble in the final sanding and finish so i have decided to use the 0.4mm sapele strips left over from my DelPrado build and double plank the launch, this will give me some extra rigidity by being able to glue the second layer completely over the first and not just on the frames, and give me some extra play for sanding, and of course save me seven and a half quid on a back order.
DSCN1068.JPG
stevie_o
#136 Posted : 09 August 2015 00:11:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Gibbo
#137 Posted : 09 August 2015 01:07:33

stevie_o wrote:
Looking good Gibbo, a world of difference from what you had to start with

Steve

Thanks Steve, been going thru' your build diary and taking lots of notes, i love the weather it on the decks, and the galleries with the card are so much neater.

arpurchase
#138 Posted : 09 August 2015 01:33:09

BigGrin Looks like the pigs ear is turning into the silk purse Gibbo and we all save wood and fittings left over from old builds just in case and its paid dividends now. Nicely done.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gibbo
#139 Posted : 13 August 2015 23:38:07

Well after planking one and a half big ships with thick planks and not having too many problems with them i found this little beastie a right pain in the backside, I've grown to really hate this little thing, i dont know why i found it so difficult, i just cant work it out, now it's a question of "do i give it a second layer" Aaaarrrgghh, or "fill sand, fill sand, fill sand" and see what happens, thats an answer for another day, i'm off on my holidays for a couple of weeks and i'll be glad to get away from "The Beastie".
Happy modelling all.
DSCN1075.JPG
Sinbad
#140 Posted : 13 August 2015 23:53:13

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contribution

Gibbo wrote:
The ship itself on much closer inspection needs to be completely dismantled and started from scratch, i dont know how they did it but they managed to put most of it together without using hardly any glue, this is how it arrived to me.

Wow! That planking is bad.
It's kinda sad in a way because some poor soul has bought this with good intentions, but it obviously was way beyond their skills.