Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Charcoal Powder Options
CanadianJedi
#1 Posted : 07 September 2015 19:45:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I came across a video on youtube from a fellow named Wayne, who used charcoal powder on a Hasbro falcon. I must say, I like the effect. I did a search on the forums and didn't come across any topics that covered this technique. I have never tried this and would be curious what some of your thoughts are. The link is below. (never shared a link, so don't know if it will work)

https://youtu.be/Of0SZksx2K0

Cheers, Steve
Plymouth57
#2 Posted : 07 September 2015 21:04:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Steve.
He certainly made a darned good job of it!Cool I've never used charcoal myself but I have made up black powder from sanded pastel crayons for weathering on the aircraft in my Battle of Britain diorama and have also used the excellent Carr's Weathering powders on both that diorama and the preceding Messines one as well. Being 1/72 scale I applied the powder by cotton bud instead of brush. The advantage with the Carr's and the Pastel crayon is that they don't require any form of sealing to stop the effects rubbing off. I'm not sure if the charcoal would be rub-proof or not!
If in doubt, try it out!BigGrin (I think I might copyright that one!!)Blink

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 07 September 2015 22:20:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Charcoal powder will rub and smudge if not sealed like any other weathering powder,It would be just as good to use powdered pastels or weathering powders as they will be more colour permament than charcoal but again to prevent rub/smudge will need sealing after you achieve the finish your after.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

RogerThornhill
#4 Posted : 08 September 2015 01:35:52

Very interesting video... I might try that.

Thanks
CanadianJedi
#5 Posted : 08 September 2015 15:42:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

To be honest, I really like the look, especially in the recessed panels and the vents at the back. It truly looks like carbon build-up. I may have to consider doing this after my various red and grey panels are painted. Then a sealer and all done.BigGrin