Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

easy rust Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 07 November 2015 20:28:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all I was asked on another forum to do this tutorial and thought it may be usefull here too. Firstly let me say I'm not saying I'm good at this or that isnt any of my own ideas (well apart from the plastic ageing)all the rust techneques I use here have been used by others, perhaps not all at the same time or combined with other thchneques, I was asked by juno to do a tutorial on my methods so here it is, hope it is of some use.
Firstly this is old spare parts and I am going to spray the overall top colour black, simply because I think it will show the effect off best, first I paint the rust colour on the part roughly where I want the rust,

If I want blistering bubbles in the paint I use pva glue and a cocktail stick.

please excuse the blured pic, its difficult to use the camera whilst applying the glue, I allow that to dry

then apply a few more dabs around and on that one and allow those to dry

next I use sea salt in a grinder (you get more uneven grain sizes than table salt

Now there are 2 methods you can use now, water, or hair spray

the bottom one is just water which is applied where you want the rust only the top part I applied the hairspray all over it (I decant the hairspry into a lid from the can so if I wanted I could only apply it where the rust is, I've done it all over on the top piece I will explain why in the next step)

now wee sprinkle the salt all over whilst everything is still wet. then allow it to dry.

then we spray it all black< you can see from the water one that some of the salt has already fell off

now we brush all the loose salt off

that is as far as you can go with removing paint on the water and salt one, however with some warm water and a stiff brush you could also remove all the black paint from the hairspray part if you wanted to, the advantage of this method is if the salying has not shown enough rust you can show more like this.

The next stage (this wont work on the hairspray one ) is to use some cellulose thinners

I like to use the dirty thinners I clean my brushes in as it helps with the staining , I also have a special brush with very few bristles left so it cant hold much, I literally shake the tin and whats in the lid is what I use(WARNING THIS MELTS PLASTIC BE CAREFUL)

I literally just run it down the seams to give the rust tracking you get.

Here endeth the rusting
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 07 November 2015 20:34:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Brilliant tips Ken love it BigGrin

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#3 Posted : 07 November 2015 22:29:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent tutorial Ken. Think you should post this in the Model Making Know How section and earn yourself a Turquoise medal, link below..... Drool Drool .. Thanks for sharing....

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=topics&f=102

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#4 Posted : 07 November 2015 22:56:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys Alan just tried that will have to redo it all tomorrow it won't copy and paste ( no pics) will retype and post tomorrow.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
michu
#5 Posted : 07 November 2015 23:08:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

kpnuts wrote:
Thanks guys Alan just tried that will have to redo it all tomorrow it won't copy and paste ( no pics) will retype and post tomorrow.

Hi Ken, just a tip, you can click Edit under your post and copy the editable text (including picture links), then paste the whole thing into a new thread. Thanks for the excellent tutorial!
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 08 November 2015 15:44:03

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s a great know-how posting.Cool

Well deserving of your turquoise medal.

Congratulations.BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"