Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Twisted lateral frame on False keel HELP Options
spineman
#1 Posted : 03 December 2015 21:55:43

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Folks,
First wooden build for me, Retired RN engineer so I know my way around a workshop/ Engine room, this is a different ballgame.

So far I have applied all the laterals 6-12. Glued and clamped all in position, having been very careful with regards to alignment, if it isn't a right angle at this stage, it will be a bloody nightmare later.

Last night pinned and glued laterals and main deck/ fo'csle

Got onto workshop this morning to find that no less than 3 sprung clamps had sprung elsewhere. Subsequent inspection revealed that lateral number 10 is around 15 degrees of line AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHH Couple of my own ideas, please feel free to comment with suggestions,

1) Any hints on dissolving/ breaking down the Wood glue, allowing for removal of lateral frame back to 90 deg with suitable clamping... Bit doubtful but I live in hope.

2) On lateral bulkhead 10 starboard side, apply offcuts from plans build up the stern side of the lateral, so that when applying decking although lateral is out of alignment the extra thickness of the applied off cuts would mean planking nails can run down vertically in line,

Repeat same with port side except apply offcuts to fow'd facing side of laterals

Any and all thoughts welcome, and if you need any clarification, on this somewhat lengthy post give me a shout

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Spineman/ James

For reasons unknown not all my pics are posting every time. If you see any missing images right click on white cross in black box and select "show picture"

Thanks for any and all advice or suggestions

spineman attached the following image(s):
Keel  clamp1 Resize.jpg
keel clamp 3 Resize.jpg
keel clamp 5 Resize.jpg
keel clamp 6 resize.jpg
Keel clamps 2 Resize.jpg
twisted lateral Resize.jpg
twisted lateral 2 Resize.jpg
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 03 December 2015 22:12:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi James

Firstly welcome to the forum and hopefully we can get your build back in shape. Firstly you will need some hot [not boiling] water and a brush careful application of the water along the glue joints where you have a twist should get the joints free, just keep applying the water until the glue softens and you can part the parts without damaging them.

After you have freed the twisted parts you will need to straighten them and then reglue them so the parts are in line as they should be. The use of a Jig will also help keep the false keel straight until you start planking. The planks will keep a twist in the hull so make sure you get everything straight to prevent this.

Regards

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#3 Posted : 03 December 2015 22:17:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Spineman and a very warm welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time with us. You've chosen a great kit to build, she's stunning when finished.

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 04 December 2015 08:05:04

BigGrin Welcome to the forum James Cool Looking forward to seeing your build Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 04 December 2015 08:31:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Morning James.
You've made a great start to your build. I see that dreaded warp has appeared. I find when u have a twisted part thats twisted after building like yours I wet the part to soften it then make some in fills from balsa, glue and clamp. That usually does the trick once dry.
Hope that helps you.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

spineman
#6 Posted : 04 December 2015 15:41:09

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the advice, saved me throwing myself of the Tyne Bridge

Delighted that issue is resolved. Combo of hot water and gently wiggling until getting some movement. Then steamed the joints and within a few minutes parts separated.

Once again thanks
spineman attached the following image(s):
Reclamped & inline true.jpg
reclamped & inline true 2.jpg
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 04 December 2015 20:50:00

BigGrin Glad you got it sorted and your back on track, it would be nice to see more of your build if you would like to post a diary. We can also keep an eye out for any think that may be about to go wrong tooCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#8 Posted : 05 December 2015 00:06:16

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Happy to see you resolved the problem. You've come to the right place in this forum for any guidance and assistance you may need, just ask and someone will reply... As Andy has said, would love to see a diary of your build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#9 Posted : 05 December 2015 08:23:44

BigGrin Well done on the fix James Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe